Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

a 1988 420SEL

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator
Default a 1988 420SEL

Hey, a lot have changed since I last been here actively. For the first time in a while I am Mercedesless. Yet, I think I'm close to finding another one, a 1988 420 SEL.

Right now, the Chrysler 300 is sufficing but I'll tell you it aint no Mercedes.

Ok, on the Mercedes 420SEL, I aint looking for a perfect car but more of something to tinker around again with, but one that is somewhat road worthy just in case because some military bases are a little funny with project cars.

Alright I found one, a rare find in El Paso, that looks straight and sounds straight. Under the good, there I can see there have been very recent work done, such as the master cylinder, and fluid container is new. Even the fluid looks brand new and the fluid container is straight out of the box white. All the belts look new too. Coolant look like the right color (yellow) and various other small parts. The interior is very nice actually for the asking price (will get to that in a sec) and all electronics work with no warning lamps on when started (but they all seem to work when you turn the key to the on position) The body is straight, and paint is good. Now, the power steering pump makes noise till warmed up (no problem for me as it's an easy fix) and the AC needs recharging but works (expected for the age and hot weather here in El Paso). Those are the only problems I can gather without the test drive (which is aimed for this thurs-sat.). Even the alloy wheels have their original gleam to them and the spare was recently put on the car because one of the tires blew but all the rims look the same even compared to the spare that was never used or looks brand new. There are no apparent leaks under the vehicle even after visting it a couple of times (they still have not moved it), smoke, skip, and runs smooth. The catch is that there is no service records and the car have 130,000 miles on it and they are only asking about $2200 for it.
Now I know problems might show after I test drive it, but this price seems a bit low from what I can see now. I know junkers that sometimes sell for more than that. Yet, in a way it's not surprising since on the lot, the cars seemed to be more priced on the year than actual other factors, i.e this car is the oldest and cheapest while the 1997 jag xj6 is the newest but more expspensive and even a newer model Olds aurora that looks like I wouldnt pay more than 1500 for is priced more than a better looking condition yet older Lexus LS400.

But in short, if all goes well I might be back in the Mercedes club in a few weeks after a bit more looking into this car. I'm not expecting a super perfect car or I sure as hell would spend more than 2 grand and some change for it, but I like to know what I'm getting into. Of course with 130,000 miles and no records and the seller dont know if the timing chain been replaced or not, that might be something in the near future, but at that price, it should be a relatively small investment for another 100k. There is yet to be a sign of the tell tell timing chain clatter (which some say that means it's the equivalent to the last 3 seconds of a ticking time bomb.). And I'm not sure if the AC has been comverted to 134A yet (I personally like R12 better but times are changing) but I'll look into it during my test drive day. The suspension seems to be tight thus far but it will tell on the test drive. Same with the tranny shift, will be looked at on the test drive. Oh on a random note, the engine oil looks good too and proper color yet I'll probably change all the fluids anyways after purchase, including the power steering pump fluid, which might be what causing all the ruckus (the high pressure hose looks new too). Not sure if the radiator has reinforced neck but it's feels solid with no fractured feeling or distorted or mushy hoses. And even if that goes, replacing the radiator is something I've done before in a W126 and it's surprisingly easy and not too exspensive. There is no evidence of coolant corrosion in the engine area (a tell tell sign of a coolant leak). The battery looks recent,and the underside is clean.

Well I'm going to end this here. Feedback is welcomed. More to coem after test drive. I might have found a good deal or I might have to walk away from this one.

And one last note, I know the answer but I cant help to think of "Why the hell did Mercedes use them plastic headlight surround on the American models. They look kind of silly." Even though I know good and well I'ma change them to the glass european look anyways as soon as I drive off the lot.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default Test Drive

Alright, I completed the test drive on the 1988 420SEL. Of course, this usually can make and or break a deal. The ouil pressure is fine, the economy gauge is where it is suppose to be even at idle. There is no over heating. This thing is no 560SEL but the acceleration is without hesitation and where it is expected for a 420. The brakes works fine, the tranny shifts smooth like it should and goes through all the gears and kicksdown proper. The left front arear, as expected, rattles just a bit. not much but ya have to really know what to listen for to hear it. This probably means that there is some bushings that will need to be replaced which I expected, but a lot less noise and no shimmies, and alignment is straight which i did not expect at all. The motor sounds good and no big vibrations thoughout the cabin and it's quiet at idle, even a tad bit more quiet than my Chrysler 300. There are no thumps from the rear or really any noticable noises. The ride is smooth and controled on the highway speeds (Can notice the lack of hydromatic suspension a bit) but by no means rough.
The driver seat springs, lower half towards the door is a little worn but all the seats including that one is comfortable. All electronics work, even the vaccum doors as they should and the sunroof. will have to change the tires as they are too noisy for my tastes on this car. Did I mention there is no rips at all in the leather seats nor cracks in the dash? Even the wood is good and perfect through out except the center wood piece around the gear shift **** (one of the easier pieces to find especially in Zebrano. If ya had a 560 before you know the burlwood in those things are near irresplaceable but Zebrano is fairly common.) The carpet is good no stains or rough look, just need a quick vaccuming but seems to be missing the floor rugs.
Air do not blow through the center console vents all the time but others work fine. That is some work that I must do, and is a common problem with these cars. The AC have been leak tested recently and contains the flouresent dye. Still a R12 system but needs recharge. The AC compressor looks about original, does not appear to be locked up, but does not seem to be engaging. Could be fuse. The freaking ABS light is on. Dont know how I missed it at first but it's on which is no surprise since recent brake work seemed to have been done but the brakes and even ABS (from the pedal feel) seems to work fine. Not sure what is causing the light to come on. Will look into it.
The engine heads look near new, as compared to the rest of the engine parts. Not sure if they are new heads, engine works been done or what, or just because the car only have 130,000 miles on it.

Well I think I might have found a good tinker Benz for a $2000 investment and probably will have to put about 3-4 into it and even less depending on how much of the work I do myself. One last carfax or two and if all is on the up and up I'll go ahead and scoop it up.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Alright, had the 1988 420sel for about a month now. No complaints but I'm sure as hell going to get that AC up and up when I come back from vacation. Not that the heat itself bothers me, because I'm a "roll-the-window-down" type person even in the 300 where the AC is cold. It's because there seems to be no leaks, the AC compressor seems good but not engaging probably because of lack of freon pressure and hell, it's just something I want to do. If the compressor is good, then I will charge it with R-12. If not, then I'll go ahead and get the conversion done. I'm not sure what to do or look for in a good conversion as I heard everythign from just changing a nozzle or two to changing every single AC component. Neither one of those extreme sounds right as I have yet to hear any real life conversion compressor last long without changing the oil. So I know either way I will have to change the oil regardless of what they say, but there is no sense in getting a bunch of new stuff done for the hell of it and I'm sure as hell aint keen on buying a new compressor every 2 months over shoddy work.
Besides that, things are fine. I'ma pin point the bushings that I want to replace when I also come back from vacation. Just got to find the tools and a shop with a spring compressor. This is a job I want to undertake myself but depending on the avail of a spring compressor I might have to get someone to do it. But I'ma buy the bushings.
And the rear end is starting to squeak, more audible at low speeds of course. Research has led me to believe that it just need a squirt of grease but I'll take a closer look at it to be sure. Dryness of rubber parts probably become more prominate in this type of climate. I'm still surprised at the condition of the leather and dash. In this heat, someone really took care of it. It even feel better and more supple to touch than the 300 leather. I plan on keeping it like that.

One difference between this 1988 and my old 560sel is the lack of passenger airbag. I actually enjoy the glovebox better and the 88 420 seems to have more storage space. The nets on the back seats look intersting compared to the seat matching material of the 560.The nets are not bad, just give the interior a more nostalg. feel. I dont think I seen rear seat nets too often on many types of cars outside the pre-89 S-Classes. The lack of heated seats is another difference but heated seats in EL Paso is like air cooled seats in an Alaskan winter. So they are not missed. The recling back seat is something I miss but in reality, not many passengers even noticed it in the 560 and plus I hardly rode back there except for certain weekends when I wasnt legally allowed to drive in a certain condition. And of course the engine. There is a difference but the 420 is not underpowered by no means.

any tips comments or sayings are welcomed. dont be scared.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Smile

I had a 1987 420 SEL. Best car I ever owned. Sold it about 6 or 7 years ago, and still regret it. I should have had it reconditioned, and kept it forever.

Never had a problem.

I still see it on the road from time-to-time, and wish it was still mine.