Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

1985 300SD 4 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Default 1985 300SD 4 Questions

I'm not sure if this is the right forum heading to post my questions for a 1985 300SD, so tell me if I should put it somewhere else. I just purchased this vehicle and need to make several repairs.
First, I've been looking for a decent shop manual, bought a Mitchell and I think it stinks. Any suggestions?
Second, the front windows don't work. When I push on the switch I hear a click in the door which I think means the switch works. I'd check the motor but I'm not sure how to take off the door panel.
Third, the sunroof won't close all the way unless I do the wrench in the trunk thing. Does it just need to be lubricated and if so where?
Fourth, A/C blows hot air. I replaced the control panel with a new one supplied by the previous owner. When I first installed it the compressor ran but now nothing.
I do have some more questions, but let's not get into overload yet.
Thanks

Old 08-15-2006, 03:46 AM
Default RE: 1985 300SD 4 Questions

sounds like you got issues. sound like you may need some sunroof lube or you may need your sunroof rebuilt. second your probibly have a leak in your ac system. may have a regulator problem with the windows. look on e bay they got some really good manuels on your car on e bay.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:25 AM

I just bought a 1983 300SD. I too am running WVO. I have not gotten the car licensed yet, so it has not been out of the driveway running on WVO. I have to say though when the straight diesel cleared out of the lines and the WVO hit the car ran much smoother and quieter. I have had to replace one window motor and one switch. For the front doors there is a chrome trim piece around the latch mechanism that comes off with 2 screws. Then the pull handle has a couple of screws that come out. One of them is hidden behind the trim piece for the window and seat switches. Both of these trim pieces will just pop off. Use a small flat head screwdrive, but be careful not to pry too hard. They will come off fairly easily when you hit the right spot. I think there is a small screw to take out of the seat switch trim piece too if I remember correctly. After these pieces are removed, there will be another screw attaching the pull handle. After this is removed then the handle should come off. There is a piece of trim on the door pillar. There is a screw going threw the entire pillar that holds this trim piece in place. After this the panel should be ready to slide off (there are a couple of clips that hold it in place, you just have to kind of figure out how to manuver it off. I got some motors off of an '84, but they had different gears than mine. I ended up pulling the motor off of the gear box and swapping those instead of the entire motor. I also had a broken regulator guide jaw (the little plastic piece that holds the regulator arms in the window track. You can get these and many other parts at http://www.mercedesshop.com/

Fortunately my sunroof and A/C still work, so I can't help you there.

Have you done any type of conversion for running the WVO yet? I have not, but think I probably will once the temperatures start cooling off a little bit. I have replaced both of the factory fuel filters. I figured that was the first thing I should do when running WVO.
Good luck with the car. Feel free to ask any more questions, or email me directly and I will try to help if I have had any similar experiences yet.

Ed
1983 300SD

Old 08-18-2006, 03:19 PM

You are in the right place. Here's a link to the MB manuals on 2 CDs - you won't find them cheaper anywhere else.

http://www.mbusa.com/heritage/index.do

Click on "Classic Center" and then on "Technical Literature"

Good Luck.