Mercedes R Class Mercedes R350 and Mercedes R500

Windshield Crack in Cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Default Windshield Crack in Cold

The windshield cracked all across the bottom lenth in an L shaped manner while driving in cold weather yesterday. No ding, nothing else. Just snapped with a loud noise. Dealer is giving a hard time saying it is not covered under warranty as windshields never crack by themselves. Did anyone else have similar expereince. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by singhal28
The windshield cracked all across the bottom lenth in an L shaped manner while driving in cold weather yesterday. No ding, nothing else. Just snapped with a loud noise. Dealer is giving a hard time saying it is not covered under warranty as windshields never crack by themselves. Did anyone else have similar expereince. Thanks.
My MY08 R350 developed a crack line on the lower right hand side back in May 2009. Went to the dealership and it was inspected by the shop foreman and he concludes it is a stress crack, so they replaced it with no issues.

Fast forward to last month (November 2009), 6 months after the windshield was replaced a similar crack developed again! I didn't have time to take it in until this Monday but the service adviser has been informed when it happened.

Again the shop foreman inspected it and confirmed it's a stress crack, but this time MB regional warranty manager refuse to replace it because he claims "windshield warranty is only 1 year / 12,000 miles".

So right now I am out of luck, will have to replace it out of my own pocket. Needless to say this will be the last American-build MB product I will ever own.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 AM
Default Windshield Crack in Cold

I dont think glue would do the trick. If it bothers you, I would have someone come out and replace it or give a place that does windshield replacement a call and ask them if the have anything that would prevent the cracks from getting longer.

As for the growth, its weather related. I had a crack at the far side of my windshield that was no more than 1/2" and it stayed that way for almost a year. One day in the winter I had it in a heated garage for repair and when I pulled out I watched the crack extend clear across the entire windshield in about 60 seconds. Fortunately the crack is about 3" from the bottom and poses no sight issues.