Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

re-key system

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Default RE: re-key system

Very intersesting. Thanks

Old 08-26-2005, 10:32 AM

Now my brain really hurts.

I now understand that the ML's keys are different than other mercedes. And it seems that there are only a few at the dealership that know the particulars to re-key one. My receipt listed an "infra-red remote key" but it does not appear to have an emitter like the TV remote, so I stand corrected. Thanks

I have to develop a new way of thinking about keys if I'm gona have to spend $425.00 every time a key is lost.

Thanks for the info. It now looks like I'll have to get the key reprogramed when the remote batteries get replaced. ( heavy sigh )

kyle4501

Old 09-18-2005, 10:43 PM

When I bought my ML it was used and there was some issue with the keys, similar to this one. Apparently someone had order a replacement security module for this car but it was never installed. Now, no one at the dealer knew where it went. I can't remember why all this took place and I can't remember what problem is was causing me (Hey, it was six years ago; I've slept since then) but they had to get a whole new module and i think keys too.

Long story short, there are only a certain number of keys for an ML, EVER, unless you go through the expense of replacing the security module and getting the keys that are "married" (to use MB's words) to it. Sounds expensive. My dealer had to eat the cost because they sold me the car. I remember it being very frustrating at the time, because no one at the dealership really knew what was going on, and it took several service visits. Finally some master tech, or traveling trouble shooter figured it out. They don't see this very often so they don't know how complex it is. The good news: Leroy and his homies won't be able to steal it without keys. The bad news: hello car-jacking.