Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

re-key system

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Default re-key system

I just bought a 98 ML320 & it came with only 1 key. When I tried to get another, I was told that since all 7 spare keys had been issued, I would have to have the car re-keyed. The local dealership is very vague on what is involved (except to say that it is expensive) & will not give an estimate until after they start work.

Has anyone done this? What will need replacing? What is a reasonable cost for a re-key?

Thanks in advance!
Kyle4501

Old 08-12-2005, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: re-key system

just get a "replacement key" and not "additional key".

16 more key is available for replacement. they will just adapt it with the transponder.

Old 08-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but my dealer is telling me that there is no difference in 'replacement' and 'additional' remote keys.

Apparently when new, the ML320's security system had codes for 7 more remote keys available, since those are used, the security system has to be replaced if you want more keys. (The new system will not work with the old keys.)

MB has sent a memo to dealers warning that the remote keys can only be activated once for one car only. So if the key is not new from Mercedes, it can not be reprogramed. Also, if you loose a key, they can deactivate it so that it can't be used ever again.

Any more ideas?

Old 08-24-2005, 10:13 AM

To follow up, I got another infra red key from the dealer. I was charged 2 hours labor ($180), $112 for the infra red key (the remote), and $122 for a regular looking key (they called it a programing key. They said it could be used to unlock the door but if I used it in the ignition it could mess up the program in the computer). Could someone explain this 'program key' & how it functions?

Also, Mr. Sleepwalker, Thank you for your accurate advice and encouragement.

Thanks all,
kyle4501

Old 08-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

you're welcome.

i don't know much about the "program" key yet. i only know the green key which use to program the EIS.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:35 PM

Actually they did call it a transponder key. It has a black plastic grip. I'll keep it in my file in the event I ever need another remote programmed. That should save me a couple of bucks if (when) the wife looses her key.

When the transponder key is used to program the remote, do all remotes need to be there? Or just the new one being programed? Will a lost remote still work if it is found after a new remote is programed?

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of this since the keys are so expensive.

So far, the car is a blast! I'm glad to have it.

Thanks all!
Kyle4501

Old 08-26-2005, 05:29 AM

The M Class doesn't use An EIS like the cars, and the keys are not Infra Red. They just use radio signal, but still have a transponder which communicates to the All Activity Module (AAM).

To put it plainly, ML's are different to the rest of the MB range, and can't be compared. I would tend to think that this has something to do with American Technology being introduced.........Should I duck now and run for cover??

Old 08-26-2005, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

M Class doesn't use An EIS like the cars, and the keys are not Infra Red
who says M-Class use EIS?

Old 08-26-2005, 06:31 AM

I was just trying to clarify things for people not familiar with ML's, But I must admit I haven't had much to do with the key systems, on them. But on trying to find out, I have discovered that there isn't much info on the ML's key system that I can find.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

then here's a good tip for those who wants to know a little more about their key.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/C83DB6F291A449D98B92976A33684C18.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: re-key system