Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Need Help .... e-box fan concern

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Default Need Help .... e-box fan concern

Hello all. I'm in need of some advice. The scenario: Approx 1 week ago I started to hear a chirping/whining noise coming from the left side of the dash board area. After about a week, I did some research and found various sources indicating that the problem would mostly likely be my e-box fan (locatedin thehousingwhere the fuse box resides) and "how to" clean it when that sound is heard. Sunday evening, my uncle vacuumed any dust, etc, (per the internet instructions) before he put it all back together had me turn the key to the last position before cranking the engine over. The result was that the fan was not working at all. He then gave the fan a little push and it started to move for about a second and then stopped. He concluded that the fan probably was not repairable at this point and would need replacement.

Well, I checked a few forums and some suggest that the dealer part be between $50 and $80. However, I visited my local Mercedes Dealership and they want $99+tax.

That said, I have a few questions:
1) Based on what I've described, is it time for a new e-box fan or can my uncle do something else, 2)Is there damage being done whilemy current fan is not working at all; In otherwords, how long can I drive before I NEED to replace it?, 3) Can anyone suggest where I can get the dealer part cheaper, especially since it sounds like$50-$80 is possible for others?

Thank you all in advance, Rochelle. PS. I have from the dealer a picture of the item they sell. I was hoping just to buy the fan ONLY but they said the black plastic covering for the fan is part of it too. If interested, I can email you a copy of the picture.