Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Navigation Unit Problem *PLEASE READ*

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 01:01 AM
Default Navigation Unit Problem *PLEASE READ*

Hello all, i have a 2000 ML 430 and i love it. I am currently having a Navigation problem. I live in NY and i recently took a trip to Virginia. My navigation covers the northeast so as i left New Jersey, my nav cd stopped showing any streets. My problem is that when i returned to NY, my nav arrow is still showing that i am in Virginia when i zoom out. Just before my trip i had my steering rack changed. Is my nav unit defective or is there a bigger problem? Any input on this would be very helpful. Thank you.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Default RE: Navigation Unit Problem *PLEASE READ*

Hey I just made that trip from NYC to Richmond last week in my 01 430ML. Anyway my GPS froze up like that once showed me being in the middle of water. I just removed and replaced my CD about 3 times and it finally located my correct position. It hasn't done it since. I suppose if this doesn't help you can pull the fuse for the MCS, but make sure you know the code before you do it.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:23 PM

It's obviously a software issue so rebooting/restarting somehow, as dxt0bwd suggests, is probably the best approach.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:48 PM

Hi,

I have a Mercedes ML 430, year 2000. The navigation CD is all scratched and I am not sure if it can be repaired. I am looking for advice on how to obtain a new CD. The CD area is 9?

Thanks in advance for your support

Old 03-26-2006, 11:03 AM

Thank you very much, i will try your suggestions and let you know if it works.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:12 AM

OK, now my problem is different. My nav unit sometimes works when it is ready but it still does not work properly. When it is ready, it will show my current location but it does not track my location smoothly, it jumps and as it jumps my screen is slowly moving in a circle. This is weird isnt it? Is my unit defective or is there another problem that can easily be fixed or reset? I love the nav unit, but if it defective i will replace it with an aftermarket unit that will give me a larger screen with AM/FM/Satellite radio/TV & DVD which i know will be alot less than the existing unit. Any advice?

Old 04-26-2006, 11:37 AM

The "jumping" is a normal function of the update process--if I understand your description. GPS units still aren't powerful enough to update constantly, instantaneously, and smoothly, although some aftermarket units come close. Also, you'll notice more jumping the closer you zoom in.

I'm not clear on the turning screen. If you have the GPS set to "track up" the screen will adjust so the direction you're travelling is always up. If the unit is set at "north up" then the screen will not turn when your direction changes. I'm not sure about Mercedes' terminology, so "track up" and "north up" may not be the correct terms, but you understand what I'm saying, right?