Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Gum on Windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Default Gum on Windows

Sorry if this is a repost, I tried to search but didn't find anything.

I have an 01 ML320 with 70,000 miles. I get 'gummy' stuff on the windows when they are put down and then returned up. Started with a rear window, the sunroof has it now and now the front window has it.

Clean windows, 'rolled' down, when they are brought back up, they have streaks of gummy residue on them which is not water soluble. Only paint thinner in my garage takes it off. It has no odor.

Any thoughts?????

Thanks all!!

Craig

Old 04-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Gum on Windows

that must be the thermal gum which is used to fuse the plastic covering to the inside door.

if it happens on all windows including sunroof... then it's worth a try removing one door lining to see where it's from.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:46 PM

On the front outer door skin there is a 1foot x 1 foot piece of sound dedning that peels away from the metal and rests on the window just remove th door panel roll up the window and remove the sound dedning piece. shoud only take you a couple of hours for both doors total. 1 screw behind srs label and 1 screw bhind grab handle(you have to remove the inlay) the panel is just held on by panel clips.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I will take off one of the door liners and investigate further.

EDIT

How many clips are there around the liner and can you give me a better idea of where they are and how they work, e.g. how they come out. I have removed the screws, (actually there are two behind the grap handle panel) but am uncomfortable prying off the liner. I have started with a taped screwdriver to do it but there is a lot of resistance and I am worried about breaking the clips.

Also, do I need to remove the door lock '****'? If so, how? I tried unscrewing it but it just turns forever.

Sorry for the newb questions but playing with interior parts is tricky from car to car.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:39 AM

Bump