Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Exploding glass sunroof on 2 day old ML

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:17 AM

I am from South Africa.The same thing happened to my 2007 S350 with only 11 000Km still under motor plan. I was driving on the morning of 26.02.10 on a open road no car's or people on the road. Suddenly an explosion! As in all the other cases the sunroof simply exploded. The shade was closed and I could hear glass falling on it and through the vent holes into my car. Luckily I was only 1km from my work. On my arrival I were shocked to see the damage done to my car by pieces of glass that scratched my rear window as well as the roof and the boot. Had my damage only been the sunroof that exploded, but my car was severely damaged as well. It took me 3 hours to vacuum all the tiny pieces of glass from the interior of the car and the shade from outside. Now after 4 weeks Mercedes Benz South Africa(where car is ensured) lets me know that it is not an accident claim so they are not going to take responsibility for the claim. They told me that this is a defect and must be handled by Mercedes Benz South Africa under warranty. The warranty department told me that this is an insurance claim and that they are not going to take responsibility as well. So what now?
Div van den Berg div@koshcom.co.za South Africa

Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Arrow Sunroof Exploded GL450

While driving my GL450 on the highway (60MPH) the sunroof exploded, it sounded like a gunshot....really loud and when I opened the slide it was all cracked and with large a hole (about 8 x 10), like an eruption. At the dealer they said it was impossible so I had to claim my insurance co.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Default Sunroof Exploded

I just had the exact experience with my 2012 C300 on Feb 12 2014 in Broomfield CO. Shotgun sound that had me checking the seat and then saw the sunroof glass in my rear view mirror sliding down the back windshield onto the trunk. Drove it straight to the dealership where they provided me with a loaner. It appeared that sunroof exploded from the inside out... reminded me of the movie Alien. Service called me the next day to let me know it wasn't a warranty issue and that I should contact my insurance company.
Couldn't tell if a rock hit it or not. I didn't see anything hit it...

Old 03-24-2023, 03:57 PM

My 2023 GLS 450 sunroof just exploded. No help from the dealer.. I hate to have to join a lawsuit, but don’t think my insurance should pay for their design flaws.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:48 AM
Default Same Thing happened to me!!!!!

I was driving my 2010 GL 450 down the highway and all of a sudden I heard what sounded like an explosion. After I got my bearings back, I realized that my sunroof had been shattered. I figured maybe something had kicked up a rock or large piece of debris that hit. It but I also couldn’t account for that large explosion, which sounded like it happened inside of the car. Good thing I had the shade poured 3/4 of the way closed After I stop the car, I noticed something strange. The hole where the glass was and the glass surrounding it looked as if it was pointing up as opposed to pointing down words. I was extremely perplexed. After doing research and finding this board, I’m realizing it’s exactly the same thing that happened to me.