Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Another issue, transmission acting-up, help?

Old 04-28-2009, 03:31 AM
Default Another issue, transmission acting-up, help?

Yesterday at one point I noticed that the tranny didn't immediately shift in Reverse when I threw the selector into "R." When I shifted into "D", the car jerked a bit, normal for an older american car but not for recent-make Benz. When I drove off, I noticed that the car won't shift into overdrive on its own, and that the -/+ (autostick?) option does not work. Hitting the selector in either direction did not do anything, the dash still showed "D." At a stop light, I turned the ignition off, took the key out, then re=started the car. All was normal. Later that day, I again realized that the car won't go past 4th gear and that the -/+ feature does not work at all, again I turned off the engine and ignition, turned the car back on and all was good again. Then only thing I can think of, I had the car pressure-washed the night before, but not the engine compartment... Anybody had this happend to their ML??

Old 04-28-2009, 10:56 PM

Go back to your mechanic that replaced your crankshaft position sensor and have him check electrical connector pluged into the transmission. This plug may be full of fluid that may adventually follow the wires in their protective tubing all the way up into your trnsmission control module located between front seats under center console. I washed it when I was replacing my transmission but I was reading few articles about it. Have him scan the computer one more time for codes, if it is one of the speed sensors or shift solenoid, it will show up. How many miles or kilometers you have on your '05 ML350? Is yours still the 5 speed 722.6 type tranny? Post the code and I will check my star manual that covers ML350 upto may 2005. Good luck! Bernard

Old 05-07-2009, 08:32 AM

Hi. All I can tell you for now, it's manufactured in '04, it is the W163 body, and it now has just about 70,000 miles on it. I do believe it is the 5 speed tranny, 4 gears plus "overdrive", which is nothing but the 5th gear, correct? The problem has since occured once again, turning the car off and removing the key from ignition, then re-starting the car made the malfunction go away. Thanks again.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:37 AM

this problem you are explaining, My 97 s500 has the transmission fluid traveling up the wires into the control module, my mechanic dried it out but it only worked one week, I dried the module out and tried to vacuum the fluid out of the harness from the top. Still the car will not start, does the module have to be reset ? when put back in the car, Im not a mechanic but thought I would try as this has been an ongoing problem. I have had the trans plug replace twice but still have the fluid traveling, wondering at this point can this be repaired or will it be an ongoing problem about 120,000 miles on my car. thx for any help

Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 AM

I'm having the exact same problem with my 2005 ML350 transmission. What did you determine was the problem? Mine has not set a code, and has driven OK since.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:21 PM

changed the plug on the transmission and as long as that is sealed right the leak stopped. As far as the starting problem finally found a mechanic to fix it there is a cable goes from the battery to the ignition attaches together under the car this was coming loose and thats why car would run but when you turned it off never started again. turned out the cable was bad (the part from the battery to the other connection) have not had the problem since.