Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

98 ML320 Remote doorlock problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Default 98 ML320 Remote doorlock problem

I am the recent new owner of a 1998 ML320.
I bought the car at bargain basement discount price knowing there were some problems with it. (mileage, some wear and tear, and only one key which was badly busted... it's mechanical key to start the car, so no big deal)

Now, I have ordered two new keys from MB... got them in, and the rep couldn't do the quick-and-dirty program of the keys out on the lot.
(they wanted to charge me $300 USD to sit for an hour while they tried to program them).. .I declined, based on the knowledge that the key, when placed into the driver's side door, will not even lock the drivers side door... which led to me believe the problem lies not with the key, but with the car.

I can lock the car from the inside, as long as the driver's door is closed. (which means locking the door from the passengers side and walking around) The mechanical key works fine in the passengers side, but not the drivers.... I pulled the interior panel off, and jumpered the lock electrical plug... I can hear the 23 and 24 relay clicking, but the only thing that moves is the gas cap door lock....

HELP !.... tell me where the brain is for this thing, or what you think my problem may be and how to repair it.... or maybe where to get one of those niffty online repair manuals for this car that I've heard about.

I could probably resell this car and make it sombody else's problem, but my wife loves it, and wants me to fix it for her.

Sleepwalker? You out there? I could really use your expertise on this !

thanks for "listening"