Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

2009 ML350 Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Default 2009 ML350 Experiences

I have just ordered a 2009 ML350, Peweter, Ash leather. P2, etc. to replace my 06 ML350 as the lease is up in May. I was interested in any issues that those of you who have an 09 may have experenced or are experiencing.

The only recurring issue I have with my 06 is an intermittent transmission problem where it won't shift out of 1st gear and also sometimes it won't go into reverse. Have had it back to the dealer 3 times with no resolution.

Otherwise I love the car.

Thanks

Mark

Old 03-01-2009, 01:55 PM

Well i just recently pickup up my 2009 ML 350 and i absolutely love it. I had to wait for 3months in production, but it was well worth the wait. I have been enjoying it, and trying to keep my white baby clean, but its not an easy mission. Hopefully you will enjoy it just as much. Congrats!
By the way, did you get it with the premium package too? I was wondering if you had any idea on how to bypass the park restriction when playing a DVD. I am trying to figure it out. Let me know.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:01 PM

I also am returning my 06 ML 350 on Tuesday and picking up my 09 ML 350 in Pewter with Premium and Sport package. I didn't get the rear entertainment DVD but the brochure says it has a 6 DVD Changer in the comand. Does that mean I can play a movie on the Nav Screen

Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Default DVD movies

Yes, the new ML's play a dvd on the NaV screen in the front. But only when it is in park.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Thumbs up

I returned my 06 ML350 the other day and picked up my 09 ML 350 with Premium and sport packages. Firstly I was so dissapointed with the 06 that I was looking at going with some of the competitors. I am a leasing customer and in the end I went with the ML because of the 54% residual and cheaper interest since I was an existing customer of MB. The BMW x5 was much more expensive as a lease. Anyway I am really happy after having the 09 for 2 days now. The ride is unbelaevable with the airmatic system, setting it on comfort makes it beautifully smooth and putting in sport just slightly lowers it and stiffens it up. The engine seems more powerfull with faster and smoother excelleration. My 06 was so loud when reaching top rpm in each gear and it felt like it wasn't picking up speed as fast. The 09 transmission is smooth no jerking in from 2nd into 1st. The interior looks similar but the improvments are great. Something as simple as displaying the time on the comand keeps my passengers from looking across and trying to see the clock on my dash. Anyway to me this is what MB is about and my first impressions are great. We will see if reliability is good as my 06 was in the shop with stupid things every couple of months.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Thumbs up Air ride?

You said you just got your ML 350, and it came with air ride? Was that an additional option on the truck, because i was not aware that you could add it to the truck. I thought it was only for the ML 500 model that it was available.
I have a standard suspension system, and i am pretty happy with the way it rides. The stability control helps a lot when cornering thats for sure.
I love my truck, and i am very happy with it so far, hopefully i won't run into any problems.

Good Job MB!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 AM

I beleive it is part of the sport package, 20 inch double spoke wheels, aluminum roof rails and the suspension.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:43 PM

Thanks to everyone's reply's. I am not sure how to watch\play a DVD on the front Nav screen when shifting out of Park. I too was glad to see that the time is now displayed on the screen. While I love my 06 I won't miss the ongoing transmission issues that the dealer can not seem to fix. I know it is a valve body issue and the software upgrade will only work with the new valve body installed.

I opten not to get the air suspension feature. I do not have it on my 06. Instead I opted for the P2 package, running boards, and a few other conveniences I like.

Mark

Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Default '09 ML350 unsafe

I have had my ML350 for three months now and I am NOT happy with it.
I am specifically referring to the unsafe, unstable suspension the vehicle has. Yes it is soft and floaty for those who enjoy that living room couch ride. However, there comes a time when you are at speed (over 35 mph) and should you need to make an emergency avoidance move, the vehicle is extremely tippy and twitchy.

I have discussed this problem with MB and they are aware of it. They give the tired old explanation describing the problem as high center of gravity in SUV's. MB should have addressed this problem and provided a SAFER more proactive suspension that does not endanger occupants. Sudden emergency wheel movement causes the vehicle to wildly roll to one side and then roll back. It goes into a shaking rocking motion. Terrible and totally unacceptable, especially for MB. Very, very unstable and scary. My ML350 IMO, is not safe. When you move the steering wheel back and forth, the car goes into a wild rythmic violent roll back and forth. Even the MB technician who test drove the vehicle found it unsettling. This is a very serious problem. If I had known about the terrible suspension design in this vehicle, I would NOT have purchased it. That is a fact. I do not trust the vehicle at all.

Last edited by skytop; 03-24-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:39 PM

I think there is something wrong with your ML. Prior to leasing the current 06 ml350, I was a die hard BMW 5 Series owner. Had 3 of them all with sport package's. I can honestly say that I drive the ML with the same spirited enthusiam that I drove the 5's. It holds corners extremly well and has never given me any indication that I was going to loose control. I live in Upstate NY where there are a lot of great 2 lane back roads that are a blast to drive. After 20K I had 4 Cooper CS4 H/V touring tores installed. After almost 20K the vehilce continues to perform flawlessly.

I am teaching my 16 year old daughter to drive and trust this vehicles ability to perform and provide a safe and comfortable environment. In the event I or she would need to perform a quick and or evasive manover, I have no doubt in its ability.

Hope MB can resolve this issue.