Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

2006 ML350 Oil Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Default 2006 ML350 Oil Filter Change

2006 M350 Oil Filter Change

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have just purchased a new 2006 ML350. It now has almost 1000 mi. on it.
Time for the first oil change.
Are there any special instructions for the canister oil filter change? I have purchased the MB wrench for the spin on cap. The filter comes with multiple O-rings. Must all of these O-rings be replaced each time? Will it be obvious where each O-ring fits?
Is it simply a spin off the cap, replace the filter and spin on the cap precedure? Any pitfalls of which to be aware?
My MB dealer recommends the first oil change at about 6500miles. However, I always change the oil in all of my cars after the first 1000mi. Cheap insurance. This is not meant to be a post to debate when to change the oil. I just would appreciate any wisdom on the filter change.

Thanks and Cheers!
Jim

Old 12-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Default RE: 2006 ML350 Oil Filter Change

Mission accomplished.
Info to help others:
Note this is for the 2006 ML350. This is how I did it. It worked for me. I do not possess an oil suctioning device hence the oil was changed by removing the drain plug.

If you are changing the oil by removing the drain plug then the plastic underbelly pan must first be removed. To do so one must remove 9 bolts and two plastic pins. A 10mm socket is required for the bolts. Look carefully as 3 are hidden in deep coves in the front of the plastic pan. The 2 plastic pins are in the very front of the pan. Gently pry the center locking pin out of the plastic pin. Then one must pry/remove the pin itself. It just pulls out. Once the pan is removed, the oil drain plug is easily visualized at the front passenger side of the engine oil pan. A 13mm socket will remove the drain plug. But, before you remove the drain plug, fashion a shield out of plastic or cardboard and place the shield over the sway bar to keep the oil off of the sway bar. Make certain that your oil catch basin will hold the 8.5Qts that will be coming out of your engine!

Now, while the oil is draining, remove the cap to the oil filter canister. Mercedes makes an oil filter wrench for the cap. It is easy to use. There are bolts to snug the wrench to the cap which I did not use (dealer said not to). A thin cloth over the cap before the wrench was applied worked wonderfully to snug up the wrench. A 22mm socket fits over the MB wrench. Spin off and pull the filter out with the cap. (Any oil remaining in the canister will drain down the canister into the oil pan and no mess will be made. This is the reason to change the filter before replacing the drain plug in the oil pan.) The filter is held onto a center rod in the cap. Before removing the old filter, make a mental note of how far the filter slides upon the rod. It merely slides on and off. Gently pull (spinning a little if needed) off the old filter. Clean cap as necessary. Replace the 0-rings (they come with the MB filter). There are more O-rings than needed in the package as this filter fits many MB models. Replace the large O-ring on the cap threaded area and the two identical sized 0-rings at the end of the tube that the filter slides onto. Slide on the new filter. For me it helped to use a little new oil on the filter where it slides on. Make very certain that you slide the new filter all the way onto the rod (refer to mental note above). Start spinning the cap on by hand so as not to cross thread the cap. Torque the cap to 25Nm.

Now replace the oil pan drain plug using a new copper gasket.

Fill with 8.5 Qts of MB229.5 rated oil. Mobil 1 0W40 fits this category.

Replace the plastic underbelly pan.

Cheers!
Jim