Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

2005 ML350 scenario

Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Default 2005 ML350 scenario BAS\ESP & interior lights

The battery light came on.I had it checked and a faulty alternator was diagnosed and replaced. When I picked the car up the battery light had gone off but the BAS\ESP light was on and the interior lights did not work. The shop that did the alternator replacement specializes in this type of work but is not a Mercedes dealership. Can anyone shed some light on this situation? I've read the forum and seen where people have replaced the brake light switch for the BAS\ESP light but what about the interior lights? Is there a connection to having the alternator replaced and the aforementioned happening? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by sakdeez; 01-03-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 PM

if when they did the repair and they disconnected the battery you might loose some synchronizing of windows, sunroof, radio stations etc. with the car running...turn the wheel lock to lock a few times and see if the lights go out first. yes could be a brake switch. interior lights....check the switch first to see if its in the "door " position and not off. not sure on the older MLs but if its bright outside the interior lights wont come on when opening the door. alot of benzes do that.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by chassis221
if when they did the repair and they disconnected the battery you might loose some synchronizing of windows, sunroof, radio stations etc. with the car running...turn the wheel lock to lock a few times and see if the lights go out first. yes could be a brake switch. interior lights....check the switch first to see if its in the "door " position and not off. not sure on the older MLs but if its bright outside the interior lights wont come on when opening the door. alot of benzes do that.
I will try both of your suggestions and post a reply. Thank you so much.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Default Resolved!

Well good news. After all the research and help. I took the car to another independent Mercedes mechanic yesterday. He also suggested that I drive the car in a circle with the wheels turned left then right. I had already tried this thanks to Chassis221. To make a long story short it ended up being the fuse in the number 15 slot that works the dome lights. No cost to me! The new fuse also turned off the BAS\ESP light. All is well.

Happy New Year.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Default Red battery light - alternator

CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT IS COST YOU TO HAVE YOUR ALTERNATOR REPLACED? DID YOU EXPERIENCE YOUR CAR SHUTTING OFF? ALSO, DID YOU SEE CERTAIN LIGHTS (blinkers, dashboard, etc.) DIMMING THEN GOING FULL LIGHT OCCAISSIONALLY?