Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

1998 ML320 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 01:33 AM
Default 1998 ML320 upgrades

Looking to upgrade my ML. Want to start with suspension. I use it primarily on the street so bigger, lighter wheels, bigger tire contact patch and stiffer, lower springs seem like a reasonable modification. Bigger wheels allow for bigger brakes. I don't care too much for the standard wheel choices outlets like the Tire Rack offer. Has anyone made supension upgrades that are performance oriented? Any suggestions on what might work? Any air suspensions available (like the what is offered in the ML350 or for 3 series BMW)? Thanks

Old 08-22-2005, 02:36 AM
Default RE: 1998 ML320 upgrades

Thanks for the replies I have gotten so far. Several sources have proven marginally helpful For starters, Performance Producats does have some upgrades and I have already bought from them. I needed replacement headlights and found a nice set of late model lights that plugged right in! What a difference! Suspension wise, there are sport springs available through the Tire Rack. This requires adjustment of the front torsion bars to lower the vehicle. Engine upgrades are pricey, although available through aftermarket tuners like Brabus and RennTech ($$$$$). What is lacking at these sites is a self help guide to direct us do-it-yourselfers who would like a little technical advise. Even the headlights I bought didn't come with instructions. I had to remove the old lights to figure out how the new ones fit in. Granted, this was a simple upgrade since they are just plug and play. Doing suspension work or brake upgrades are a little more advanced. I did find a couple of helpful sources for brake upgrades. Frozen Rotors, the Tire Rack, and Powerchip are some promising suppliers. An interesting article in Car and Driver can be found at <http://www.caranddriver.com/article....e_number=1> . ALso, interesting links to tech articles and miscellaneous items can be found at <http://www.keysolutions.com/M-Class.nsf> Thats all for now. I hope this helps someone else.