Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

03 ML is Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 01:57 AM
Default 03 ML is Gone!

For those ML owners who have had troublefree service from their ML's I envy you, cause believe me, my 03 was not one of those vehicles! This morning when we were backing out of the garage a tranny line blew dumping fluid. I limped to the dealership (again) and enrolled my ML for the 25th (yes 25 service visits in 3 years) and started searching the lot for something else, preferably not built in Alabama. I settled on the new 06 C-230 V6 sport pictured below. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that since it was built in Germany that it was built a little better than the ML. Anyway, here is a quick recap of what happened to my ML.

1. AC Compressor failed - All lines, compressor, receiver dryer, and condensor replaced

2. Drivers seat lower heater shorted and burned through the leather and my blue jeans and nearly burned me - Lower seat pad, cover and heating element replaced.

3. Window switches auto up and down failed - all 4 switches replaced (3 times)

4. Front ball joints froze up completely destroying my front tires in 1200 miles - ball joints replaced and tires replaced

5. Ball joints froze up again - replaced again and tires replaced again

6. Security system failed - security control module replaced

7. Tranny cooler line blew - replaced cooling line and locking pin.

8. Rear vent window trim broke loose - replaced

9. Carpet on back of rear seats fell off - replaced

And this is just a few of the more serious. Other issues like the knocking behind the instrument cluster, and general rattles and poor construction remained uncorrected. Anyway, here is the new car.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:29 AM
Default RE: 03 ML is Gone!

Did it have a noise coming from the rear hatch when you were driving on a bad road. My ml320 has that noise coming from the hatch and its very unpleasant.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:33 AM

They must have built that ML on a Monday.

Enjoy your new ride.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Brigadir

Did it have a noise coming from the rear hatch when you were driving on a bad road. My ml320 has that noise coming from the hatch and its very unpleasant.
Yes it did. That started the day after we brought it home. The dealer took it back in and found some wiring loose, and a broken weld in the body behind the cd changer area passenger rear quarter near the brake light. I'll look for the paperwork from that one and send you a scan of it if I can find it.

BTW, we did try to pursue the lemon law and also attempted to work a buy back directly with MB. They sent us a nice letter saying there was nothing they could do, and that they checked with my dealer and found the car was still in the shop getting "issues corrected." Of course it was in the shop, that is where it was most of the time I owned it... Oh well.

SCS.

I also got better pics done yesterday before the snow started. Wont be this clean for long. Snow tires go on today.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:31 AM

I wish you luck... I have a 2000 ML320 and have a similar or worse track record with relioability, which I cannot even begin to describe, without getting a severe case of "writer's cramp". I think that your C class was built ientirely in Germany, whcih should make a dramatic difference. My wife had an 86 E class and drove it for 15 years with very little trouble until that last year.

In general I have been very dissapointed with the entire MB product line, in terms of reliability ratings. I see many of thier vehicles on the "worst" reliability lists for several categories, when they used to be at the top of list that they had vehicles in. I do not know what has changed but it has been difficult to watch them slide down that slippery slope, while other manufacturers seem to blow by them in terms of quality/reliability. I think the days of buying MB to bee able to drive reliably for 10 years+ are a thing of the past.

I hope you enjoy many TROUBLE FREE hours of driving pleasure in you new vehicle!! It looks very sharp!

Old 12-05-2005, 12:09 PM

Glad to hear you got rid off it.I don`t understand why you are buying a MB do.We shall all teach them a lesson and make them understand that MB buyers won`t mind paying more for a reliable,quality car/truck.I sank too many $ on my ML that I simply want to burn it in front of my MB dealer.I only own german cars but this is the worst I ever had.Latest one:Rust coming through on driver door near the handle(99 ML 320)

Old 02-11-2006, 02:27 AM

ORIGINAL: clanut

Glad to hear you got rid off it.I don`t understand why you are buying a MB do.
I stuck with MB because the dealer I dealt with on my trade was the original selling dealer I bought the ML from. The owner knows us because we were there all the time with problems, and gave us $7k more on trade than any other dealership I spoke to. I personally think he was trying to show a little mercy on me because of all the problems we had experienced, and make the situation right. I went with a car vice SUV because the car is manufactured in Germany, not Alabama. So far it has been flawless. I'm very pleased.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:51 PM

I have a 03 ML350. Join the forum after I bought the car, and read so many problems with ML line up.
Lucky for me, I can't think of any problem with my ML with 30000 miles on it.