Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Gone Fishin'

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 08:30 AM
Default Gone Fishin'

I went for a six-day scouting trip looking for fly fishing spots. I like to fly fish for trout because they live in the cool mountain waters. I like to hike or backpack in where the lazy don't go and the trout hang out. I like to fly fish because it's an active process of catching fish as opposed to the more passive act of bait fishing where you just sit and wait.

I was checking out the Cullasaja and Chattooga Rivers and their feeders in the Nantahala National Forest in SW North Carolina and NE Georgia. It's a very pretty area and even has a wilderness area (Ellicott Rock Wilderness Area) along the Chattooga.

So anyway, I had a book with me about fly fishing in Northern Georgia. In the description for the Chattooga River where I was hiking it mentioned the ruggedness of the terrain and the inaccessibility to the river. Correct. It went on to stress these points and draw a picture in my mind by saying the movie Deliverance was filmed there. Sheeeeet! I could remember the movie but I couldn't remember if it was a true story or not. I didn't hear any banjo music but I got out of there real quick. The water was too fast most of the way for fishing anyhow.

I felt a little safer when I passed a group of about twenty young giggling girls about 14-years-old and their two college-aged women guides backpacking to somewhere. I stood there with my chest poking out and a big smile on my face to let them by and to offer advice should they need any. They all walked past me like I was just another tree. Oh, well.

Old 05-31-2004, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Gone Fishin'

they must have thought you were one of those nine fingered, unforgiving brutal guy. [sm=lol.gif]

but that's nothing compared to my holiday where 4 people really got it, just on the other side of my cottage

Old 06-01-2004, 07:27 AM

Well, the young to-be ladies were all giggling, so I think I made an opposite impression of some sort. It's hard[er] to scare teenagers nowadays. Younger kids too. You can't keep them in line with bogeyman stories anymore. You have to show them actual weapons with blood still on them. It's more likely they thought I was the nine-fingered chef or day dreaming cabinet maker.

So four people got the finger where you were vacationing?

... and welcome back. Now, get back to work.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

i went down there in boracay island, and got questioned as well about the 3 dead germans and a filipina. in the end they got a white guy as suspect of personal aggravation without the motive of robbery.

i told them i see nothing but those lovely **** and rear bumpers strolling down the white sand.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:46 PM

Wow! Strolling T&A on the beach and dead people, too. That's my kind of vacation.