Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB E class, what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Default WTB E class, what to look for

My brothers buying a 2000 E class (e320) maybe this afternoon, im experienced with volkswagens, but im not with mercedes... what do i look for (mechanicly) when we go and test drive it? its got 63k on it what is the routine matinencei should ask has been done? what should i listen for in the motor (like chains or lifters) or something along those lines? ANY and all help will be appreciated, and what normally goes wrong with these engines/ transmissions? Please respond as quickly as possible...

Thanks in advance

Regards - Ross Love

Old 07-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Default RE: WTB E class, what to look for

Please anything, were leaving in a little bit to test drive it... anything helps

Old 07-14-2007, 09:48 AM

Get a carfax report to make sure it has good past history. Look at dash-board display to make sure it hasno malfanction. See if you can get service history. If it was maintained by dealer, you'll know that it was servicedproperly. Open hood and enginecover(black plastic) and look for oil leak around head cover. Test drive it to make sure it runs properly and operating temperture is at slightly over 80. Check tire wear, specially front tires for possible alignment problem.
More to look but these check will help you.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:07 PM

Thanks, thats all good advice. We test drove the car yesturday, and it was very clean, the engine looked clean (it is from a dealer, so they probably pressure washed it) and it sounded fine, no unusual noises under the hood. However when we were driving i could hear something in the breaks rubbing almost like you were always applying the breaks ever soo slightly, but only in the rear on both sides... it could be that there were rocks or dust in in the calipers, or they were replaced wrong but it is no big deal... were trying to get financing as we speak. so thanks for the info, we will test drive it one more time before we get it anyway...