Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look at when buying a 260E

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Default What to look at when buying a 260E

I'm going to take a look at a (150K miles) 1991 260E later on this week.

The cruise control and the central locking are playing up. I've read about the CL pump under the rear seat and the silver CC amplifier box under the dash. I guess these will be things to negotiate over the price with.

From trawling the MB forums I think I should be looking for the following things:

Condition of the overall car (looks good in photos)

Service history (it has some but not all is documented)

It's a 103 engine - so check for oil where the head meets the block at the rear of the engine on the passenger side.

Check for smoke when starting (worn valve guides or seals)

Is there anything else I should be looking for?
Any stock faults or other problem I should be aware of?

Any replies would be very appreciated as I hope to see the car on Friday

Old 04-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Default RE: What to look at when buying a 260E

I've own a 260E for 14 years. With over 425,000Km on the clock, I think I can give you my 2cents worth.
At the mileage of the car you are looking for, it has not even reach it half life.
Your best assurance are service records. but as not much is available on this side and in addition to what you have already listed, I suggest you look for:
Oil leak at the front right of the engine (front engine cover. Minor problem, cheap to fix.
Transmission: Should shift smoothly but firmly. Don't forget, this car normally starts in second gear.
Rear suspension bushing. Worn bushing will result in very poor handling. Quite expensive to fix ($nearly $1,000. for all bushings/arms)
Shock absorbers and strut mounts are nearing their normal life. ($500. to $600.)
Engine mounts, ($200) flex disks (drive shaft) ($200.)
Steering damper: Cheap ($50. ?)
If not done and documented by the previous owner: Get a full service. All liquids and filters, complete tune up, serpentine belt, wheel alignment, replace all fuse (yes, they might look OK, but replace them all anyway)
Check for accumulated road debris between the A/C condenser and the radiator. This space is a real trap for leaves, bugs, and all sort of debris. At one point, it reduces the cooling capacity by a very large %.
It would be a wise investment for you to bring the car to a knowledgeable Benz mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection.
Good luck

Old 04-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Default RE: What to look at when buying a 260E

Thanks Jackd

Thats just the sort on info I was looking for.
I dare say if I buy the car I will be spending quite a bit of time here