Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Noise coming from behind the Dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 04:53 AM
Default Weird Noise coming from behind the Dash

I have a '91 190E 2.3L which hadn't been run since 2002 when I got it. After a day of work we got it running. So far this is what we have done:

*New Water Pump
*New AC
*Changed oil and filter
*New Battery
*Rectifier inside the alternator replaced
*Replaced fuse on Radio (retail)
*Replaced ABS fuse
*Replaced fuse for fuse 13 (controls radio, front interior lamps, seatbelt warning system, etc.) I can list the rest of the stuff this fuse controls if needed.

The problem I am having is that there is this really annoying constant noise coming from inside the center dash when the car is running and moving (in other words it doesn't make this noise when it is stopped). I don't really know how to describe it but my dad thinks it's a duct door (??? I don't have a clue) and he says he has heard it in two other mercedes cars (I can record the sound and post it if needed). All I know right now is it is not the AC fan because for 1, it doesn't make the noise when the AC is on and the car isn't moving, and 2, it makes the noise when the car is moving and the AC is off.

Note that it has been making this noise apparently before I got it so I don't know when it started.

Any help is much appreciated.

Andrew

Old 12-26-2005, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Weird Noise coming from behind the Dash

it can't be the flap (duct door).

could it be from other source and not inside the dashboard?

hard to tell without hearing the noise.

Old 12-26-2005, 04:49 PM

Sleepwalker,
We couldn't hear the noise in the dash so we are going to let that ghost go until we hear it again.

Old 12-27-2005, 07:42 PM

I got to drive the car today (finally got it registered). Anyways it let me reaccess the the noise. Apparently it is actually coming from the transmission area closest to the dash, and it sounds like a kind of griding noise. I don't hear it when in park, when in drive and gas is being applied, and when the car is not moving in neutral. I hear it when the car is in neutral while moving and when in drive while no gas is applied. An interesting thing that seems to happen is that if you wiggle the shifter a little, you can make the noise stop. So at this point I am thinking it is a bearing somewhere in the transmission, probably where it makes contact with the engine. I don't know a whole lot about automatic transmissions, but what is in that area in the way of bearings?

Oh, and it is not a constant noise, it does change as speed changes, as long as no gas is applied.

Andrew

Old 12-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

there is a screening plate between the body and propeller shaft. could it be touching the prop shaft?

Old 12-28-2005, 02:13 PM

Not sure what those are... how would I check that?

Old 12-28-2005, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

you need to lift the car up and put it in gear.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:12 AM

hmmm... The only place I can raise it up without too much trouble and $$$ would be at school in my autoshop class. Being that I live in the hills, there aren't to many flat spots, so raising it up on a jack does sound very safe. Winter break ends this tuesday, I'll get it checked then and i'll post what I find.

Andrew

Old 01-14-2006, 05:08 AM

Finally got around to getting the car in the shop. The screening plate is not touching the prop shaft. However, while I was waiting, I read about a similer problem. Turns out their tranny noise was from a worn out bushing in the shifter. I haven't had time to look at mine but is this a possibility?