Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wait...gas in oil!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 11:28 AM
Default Wait...gas in oil!?

So I posted about the engine type in my previous thread because I thought I had water in the oil (I'd still like to know the engine type). My neighbor pulled the dipstick and noticed it smelled like gas...hardcore. What would cause gas to get into the oil? If I can save replacing the head gasket I'm more than happy to.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:27 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum! The number one cause would most likely be leaking fuel injectors. When a fuel injector is stuck open, the fuel will flood out. Gasoline will definitely get into the oil when this is the case. If the fuel pressure in your car is too high, that may cause gasoline to get into the engine oil.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:05 PM

So would a bad distributor maybe cause a problem? The fella before me had the power steering reservoir right in front of the drivers distributor overflow and spray all over it. The car is hard to start and has a rough idle (once I finally get it started). If I rev it up the power is there with no stutter. Had a ton of white smoke first time I got it started and the original plugs were oil coated . I'm thinking I might have several issues?

I'm new to MB but already love this car. Have since the 90s. I've been told this is a great highway cruiser so I'm looking forward to removing the Gremlins. Thanks for all your help!

Old 07-16-2018, 03:49 PM

Glad to help - I never asked what year/model this is in regards to. I'll attach a link to our site's DIY tech articles to help you troubleshoot the issue(s) further.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:52 PM

Oops I guess that would help! It's a 1993 400e.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by dirtleg
Oops I guess that would help! It's a 1993 400e.

Thanks. I'm not super familiar with the W124s, other members would have to chime in with their expertise. From my understanding, a bad distributor would not cause gas in the oil. Check out the link below, there may be some useful info to troubleshoot other issues that may arise.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...Index-W124.htm

Old 08-07-2018, 06:33 PM
Default Same Issue Here

So I posted about the engine type in my previous thread because I thought I had water in the oil (I'd still like to know the engine type). My neighbor pulled the dipstick and noticed it smelled like gas...hardcore. What would cause gas to get into the oil? If I can save replacing the head gasket I'm more than happy to.
I found my 1991 300 E sitting in a field. Cranked and cranked with occasional spark of life. Gas in oil. Found: Bad fuel distributer. Bad injectors. Bad cold start injector. Bad sparkplugs.Bad ideler. Bad fuel accumulator. Bad fuel pumps! Bad fuel in tank and bad fuel filter. Usually, the sign of gas in your oil is from your fuel injectors. My case was a bit more complicated. A work of love, blood, sweat and a lot of cuss words!

Old 08-07-2018, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cpatricks
I found my 1991 300 E sitting in a field. Cranked and cranked with occasional spark of life. Gas in oil. Found: Bad fuel distributer. Bad injectors. Bad cold start injector. Bad sparkplugs.Bad ideler. Bad fuel accumulator. Bad fuel pumps! Bad fuel in tank and bad fuel filter. Usually, the sign of gas in your oil is from your fuel injectors. My case was a bit more complicated. A work of love, blood, sweat and a lot of cuss words!

Wow. I'm starting with injectors and hope that solves it. How hard are they to replace? Look pretty accessible.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:19 PM

Wow. I'm starting with injectors and hope that solves it. How hard are they to replace? Look pretty accessible.
What year is it? Mechanical fuel injection or electronic?

Old 08-07-2018, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cpatricks
What year is it? Mechanical fuel injection or electronic?
1993 400e . I think it is electronic? I'm sure someone will correct me .

Quick Reply: Wait...gas in oil!?