Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk Deck Lid Back-up Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Default Trunk Deck Lid Back-up Lights

While I was checking out my taillight bulbs to change out the defective one, I discovered that on my deck lid lights (the lights on the trunk) did not have the amount of bulbs that I thought they would have. My left deck lid had 2 bulbs in it, one in the top red lens portion, and one in the bottom white lens portion. But my right deck lid only had one bulb in the bottom white lens portion. And it looked like the top red lens portion had a plastic plug to cover the opening of where the other bulb should be. It looked as if the right top deck lid purposely did not have a bulb in it.

Does anyone know if the top red portion of the trunk lights actually work, or are they for show only? And if they do suppose to work, what are their function? I know the white part of the trunk lights are the reversing lights, but I have no idea if the red portion is suppose to be functionally, and if I should take out the plug and try to put a bulb in the socket.

Thanks,

Mbmiller
97 E320 77K miles

Old 05-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Default RE: Trunk Deck Lid Back-up Lights

that red bulb is the rear fog lights. Mercedes use only one rear fog lamp, so other drivers won't think it is the brake lights

to turn on the rear fog lamp, turn light swith to the light (parking or head light are fine) and pull the switch, when you feel the first click (and you'll see a green light next to it ) the front fog lights are on, and the 2nd click (both green and orange lgiht) means the rear fog lamp is on.

Old 05-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Default RE: Trunk Deck Lid Back-up Lights

Thanks alot! Much appreciated.

Mbmiller