Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission stuck in 1st

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Default transmission stuck in 1st

i have a 97 E200 Auto ,W210. 95000 . hadn't driven it for a week, and then today the thing wouldn't budge out of 1st. have been told to check the transmission fluid level first off. i believe i've located where the dipstick should be but how do i get fluid in this very thin pipe if it does look low? it also feels clunky when shifting from neutral to D and reverse. can anyone think of anything else i can do before i get fleeced by MB.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:03 AM
Default RE: transmission stuck in 1st

you can use a small tube with a funnel to get fluid in there. however i would go ahead and change the transmission fluid and filter completely. transmission is in middle of car..jack it up..you will see the transmission pan..and a little drain plug on it..find a bucket..drain the fluid there..then you will see a small opening right toward the front of the pan..if you turn the crankshaft a bit..another fluid drain plug appears..drain that one..then unscrew the pan..pop out filter..clean pan..replace seal..replace filter..plug the drain plugs back in..add fluid (usually 5-7 quarts) (add while engine is running)..and you should be good to go. Good luck

j-mang

Old 07-13-2006, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

the ETC control module must have problem.

check for fault codes.

have them check the flexible disks also (propeller).

Old 07-14-2006, 03:18 AM

I had the same issue with my C280. MB dealer and AAMCO tranmissions told me i need a new tranmission or a rebuilt one...couldnt afford it, car was out of warrranty...took it to a place in South Newjersey the place looks like a farm, but the man is a master mercedes certified tech. Came down to a $160 dollar speed sensor in the back left tire that controls shifting....

Take the advise of the people of this board... Check your code first, and your tranmission maintainence..your codes will reveal if its a tran or sensor issue...i know nothing, im just giving you my experience that may help you.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:08 PM

OK FIRST THINGS FIRST CHANGING YOUR FLUID AND FILTER WILL NOT FIX YOUR PROBLEM PEOPLE THINK THAT CHANGE THE TRANS FLUID FIRST AND THAT WILL FIX IT WRONG.

I WOULD HOWEVER CHECK YOUR FLUID LEVEL YOU NEED A SPECIAL DIPSTICK THAT YOU CAN GET ON EBAY.

SECOND I WOULD GET YOUR CODES PULLED FROM YOUR M.E. AND YOUR ETC.6 THEN YOU CAN MAKE A BETTER DIAGNOSIS ON YOUR CAR. AS FAR AS AN ECT CONTROL UNIT BEING BAD MAYBE. I WOULD HATE TO TELL YOU GO BUY AN ETC CONTROL UNIT ($950) AND IT BE A SPEED SENSOR. ALSO SOME ETC CONTROL UNIT ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH OLDER VALVE BODYS SO YOU MAY NEED BOTH VALVE BODY AND CONTROL UNIT (DOUBTFUL IN YOUR CASE). WHAT I HAVE SEEN IN MY YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH MB IS AROUND 100K THE NEEDLE BERRINGS LIKE TO COME APART INSIDE YOUR TRANS AND DESTROY YOUR TRANS INTERNALLY WHICH WILL COST YOU ABOUT 5K. BUT GET THE CODES PULLED FIRST

Old 06-17-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Antonio
took it to a place in South Newjersey the place looks like a farm, but the man is a master mercedes certified tech. Came down to a $160 dollar speed sensor in the back left tire that controls shifting....
I'm in SNJ, where is this master mercedes certified tech?

David