Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Rear Window

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 11:14 PM
Default Stuck Rear Window

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=black size=4>My "99"E320 rear window suddenly will only go up a half inch at a time. The problem is the same from either switch. My guess is that something came loose inside the door. How does door panel come off? I've taken off panels in the past from Chevys &amp; Fords. Is their anything different on the E 320?</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Times New Roman" size=4>Thanks</FONT></P>

Old 12-02-2003, 10:51 AM

Very simple procedure... Just did mine this weekend on '98 E320. Had to replace the window regulator. There is one philips screw under the door handle plastic insert (pry it off carefuly) and another below the armrest (pop the button out). There is also one where the door latches. Take out the plastic insert with it. After that it's just clips like any other vehicle. If it is you regulator that is faulty, replace the whole unit including the motor. Let me know if you need more details.</P>

</P>

Rob</P>

Old 12-14-2003, 11:35 PM

you don't really have to change the motor unless it is physically damaged.
a 99 should have a pretty well updated motor.
the problem is strictly in your regulator.
if you press window switch you will hear the parts grinding. like i said. your motor should be fine

Old 12-15-2003, 10:59 AM

<FONT face=Tahoma size=2>I had to change the whole unit (about $218.00 including the motor from benzbin.com) because the wire thet lifts the rear window up &amp; down broke. I could of bought new wire and re-spooled it. Technically, no you don't have to, but in my opinion it is easier on yourself if you do because it comes assembled as one unit already. If the motor works fine and you're mechanically inclined disregard the motor note. The front windows on the other side are a completely different story. They're gear driven instead of wire. Cheaper and easier to fix. Good luck.</FONT>

Old 12-21-2003, 03:48 PM

I think this is a common problem in mercedes benz E class. this happened to my 99 E-320 and a week later it happened to my friends 97 E-430.</P>

Shouldn't we complain to MERCEDES USA about this? This shows they are using POOR quality parts for that ! This is not acceptable for a car that costs $50K. I am sure they are aware about this. How do we go about starting a recall on this!</P>

I have a 1993 Camry that Until to this date, all that god damn car needs is an oil change. ( and i have been using the $11.94 walmart oil change)</P>

Old 12-21-2003, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
<FONT face=Tahoma size=2>I had to change the whole unit (about $218.00 including the motor from benzbin.com) because the wire thet lifts the rear window up &amp; down broke. I could of bought new wire and re-spooled it. Technically, no you don't have to, but in my opinion it is easier on yourself if you do because it comes assembled as one unit already. If the motor works fine and you're mechanically inclined disregard the motor note. The front windows on the other side are a completely different story. They're gear driven instead of wire. Cheaper and easier to fix. Good luck.</FONT>
</P>

You have an older car. Up to 3/97 the motor and regulatorare sold as a single assembly. The motor and lifter are available seperately from 4/97. See http://www.germanstar.net/210el.htm.</P>

Old 02-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Default RE: Stuck Rear Window

hello new to the site, I was wondering if I decide to take my door pannels off (because rear window has fallen out of the tracks) is there something I should look out for. taking the door panels off look easy enough, but the clips I was told could break off while taking out do I have to replace this or make sure I have replacements?

Thanks Gea

Old 02-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Stuck Rear Window

there's a good chance that you may break 2 or 3 fasteners if you don't use the claw like tool. just get some, it's cheap.