Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Default steering

I have a '98 E320 with 86,000 miles. It's a wonderful car except for the fact that it tends to "wander" on the freeway at 60/65 mph. Also, I have noticed that the car "jostles" from side to side with small, quick motions if the pavement isn't really smooth; this is when the car wanders the most; am I pulling the steering wheel when it does this, causing the wander? If I look off for a coupla' seconds, I could find myself halfway in the next lane---scarry. I've had a full alignment, put new Michelin tires and Bilstein shocks all around, yet the car still wanders. What should I do next? Steering damper? Lower tire pressure? Front end stuff? What? I'm totally mystified.
James

Old 07-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: steering

Hi James,

You are going to have to get an experienced technician to look at your car.
There are several things that could be wrong, that most tire stores will betoo hurried to check. Most of the time, they change the tires, get the alignment within an 1/8th, and let her roll. And usually this is all that is required. But something is definately wrong, in your case.

The possible problems may include: a worn wheel bearing, a bent spindle, or a
damaged drag-link. You can check for this damage yourself by jacking up one of the front wheels, while leaving the other touching the ground. Then put your hands on the tire at 3:00 and 9:00 position, andwiggle the wheel from side to side. If you feel or hear any type of loose movement or Knocking sound, you definately have a damaged steering component. A good shop can check for this damagewith greater precision with a laser or indicator.(please observe all means of safety)

If you do not hear or feel any knock on either side, it is possible the alignment may have been done improperly. But if you go back to the tire store, ask them to check specifically for any looseness, and have them show it to you if they find any.

Blue

Old 07-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Default RE: steering

Blue:
Thanks for the advice about my E320; I'll be checking things along the lines you suggested. Appreciate it!
James

Old 07-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Default RE: steering noise

i have a front end/wheel noise: it sounds like a metal rod is slapping from on hub to the other in the front end.
it only happens when i first start to roll and the wheel is turned to the left or right - doesn't have to be a sharp turn but it is a lot more noticeable on a sharp turn.once in a great while it will make the noise if I sit still and turn the wheel. there is no vibration transfered to the steering wheel.2 mechanics have given up.i have replaced: brakes, rotors, mercedes benz wheel bearings, cv joints and the spider gears. if you remove the front drive shaft it still makes the noise.
any help will be greatly appreciated.