Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some suspension play at front on E320 -01

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Default some suspension play at front on E320 -01

Today I had my car on a lift. A E320 -01. When I grabbed the front wheels at the top and bottom and pulled top/pushed bottom and reverse there was clearly a noticable play somewhere. Just a couple of mm but still a real play. It was the same at both sides. I was trying to see if the play was in a joint or so but I couldnt see where is was. I had my hands on the joints but couldnt feel the play anywhere.
Everything I saw looked really fixed when I was shaking the wheel. It seemed like the play was inside the bearing or something.
But when Im spinning the weels they sounds ok, cant hear any bad bearing noise. When Im driving its quiet and no vibrations or nothing.

I also took an iron and bended at the joints but couldt get any play.

Is there always some play at the bearings when the e class is on a lift and have no pressure at the bearings? I havent had any play on any other car but dont know how mercedes are.
I have had cars with bad bearings and they didnt have any play either they where just noisy.

Is there something to tighten at the bearing? I didnt remove the center cap at the hub.
The service manual dont say anything about any maintanance for the wheel bearings.

Thanks
Daniel

Old 03-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: some suspension play at front on E320 -01

if you grab it top and bottom, then you are checking the bearing.

if you grab it side and side, then you are checking the steering/suspension link.

yes you got loose bearing which will prematurely worn it out if not adjusted soon.

remove the wheel, protective cap.
loosen the allen screw from holding nut of the bearing and adjust the bearing so there's no play on it.
do not tighten the bearing too much.a little bit more than your hand can will do.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Default RE: some suspension play at front on E320 -01

Im grabbing top/bottom. the steering linkage feels tight.

Then I have to adjust the bearings. I couldnt imagine a 01 car has adjustable bearings... thought that didnt exist anymore.