General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

steering play compensator

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Default steering play compensator

Hi

I was going thru the 124 MB service manual (46-0325) for the steering box and came across a section on the steering play compensator. This is different from the 19mm nut with 6mm hex that I'm familiar with. The manual says that this compensator only works in the straight ahead position. Can anyone explain what this is and how it works? Is it supposed to remove all free play? I'm tempted to remove mine to have a look inside as per the instructions. I have about 1cm free play that I can't take out with the 6mm hex. Also there is a very faint knocking coming from the steering box that I can feel more than I can hear when I jiggle the wheel. Can the play compensator help me?

Thanks
Oreo
92 124 200E

Old 07-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Default RE: steering play compensator

From what Ive seen a slight knock heard when car is stationary and engine off if a common trait on most MB rec *****. I wouldnt worry unduly about it.
Mechanic told me it is due to normal wear on most used parts in box. Tightening further will make it tight off centre.

Bazzle

Old 07-24-2005, 10:31 PM

If I recall correctly when you adjust the free play in a recirc ball steering system you are actually increasing-decreasing the lash between gears. Either through a wedge that jams between the gears or by forcing the gears closer together.

You could crank that all the way down and have no free play at all but then it's also going to be very stiff steering. This will also cause the recirc ball mechanism to wear even faster.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:43 AM

Hi All

Thanks for your replies and advice. I managed to trace the knocking noise to a loose tie rod joint at the furthermost joint. So it was not so perceptible to me at first. Got that replaced. I still have about 5 mm or so free play in the centre position. So I think I might go under that take out that play compensator to see what it does. There's a pin and spring in there that's supposed to put tension in the gears at the centre position. We'll see.....

Oreo