Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signal turn multi switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:59 AM
Default Signal turn multi switch replacement

Hi guys can anyone help me? I have an E240 V6 Year2000, lately the muti function arm is playing up. the main beam on/off has stopped working.Firstly do I have to take off the steering wheel to replace faulty switch? if I do what are the steering wheel removel instructions? kind regards Sean

Old 12-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Default RE: Signal turn multi switch replacement

Sean -

I'm not familiar with the E240 but I'm assumming it's a W210 with a smaller motor. References below are for E320 but should apply.

The DIY's are for tightening the pinch bolt which keeps the switch mounting plate from turning when moving the levers but covers R/R down to switch removal so should provide you with enough info.

Tip - Steering wheel mounting bolt can be tough to remove. You may need heat and a pretty long breaker bar. Rest is a piece of cake (or would that be bisquit).

Good luck.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 11-23-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:38 AM

This is for 99 take a look
http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/W210LooseTurnSignal

Old 12-03-2008, 06:41 AM

Thanks fot your reply Richard, but how do I get the steering wheel off? without damage to the wheel and airbag/ is there a precedure to go by? Regards Sean

Old 12-03-2008, 11:29 AM

Sean -

The step by step procedures you are asking for are at the sites I mentioned or at the link that Peter provided. There are several DIY (Do It Yourself) procedures for the W210 models for oil changes, spark plug changes, etc. They are a tremendous resource for anyone who wishes to do work on these cars. Many have attached images to help orient you or clarify specifics. Definitely check them out.

Richard

Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 PM

Big thanks you Richard, great pics too seems easy to follow. Do I really have to disconnect the battery? kinda worried about that, getting fault errors etc.. do they clear themselfs? will give it a go, Regards Sean

Old 12-04-2008, 05:10 PM

Sean -

Safest way when working on CAN bus cars is to disconnect battery. Special 'place' below front edge of right rear passenger seat cushion. Remove plastic cover and unscrew bolt. Cable is stiff so insert something non-conductive to hold bolt away from anchor threads.

One problem with disconnecting the battery is that if you have the steering wheel fully extended to make it easy to remove the air bag there won't be enough slack in some of the wires to get them off the turn signal/cruise control switches. What I did was loosen air bag screws until air bag would lift up. Retract steering wheel and then cut power before disconnecting air bag and doing the rest of the work. Someone mentioned that powering the system with the air bag disconnected can cause an error only the dealer can clear. Don't know if that's true but I decided not to find out.

If you disconnect the battery, you will have 4 issues when done.

1. The sunroof will open/close intermittently. To sync, close by repeated presses of the switch and on final press hold the switch down for about 3-4 seconds.

2. The express window feature won't work. To sync, open each window then close and hold switch down 3-4 seconds.

3. The radio will come on and display code input screen. Enter code as described in back of radio manual. Code should be on a small card with your other docs like owners manual. If missing you can get it at the dealer service dept.

4. Steering wheel angle sensor will be off. It's that round black plastic thing you'll removed. To sync, turn wheel all the way to left and then all the way to right with key in position 2 (just before start). This one will clear itself if you make some sharp turns or while parking. The other 3 won't.

As I mentioned the only hard part is the steering wheel nut which is usually put on with thread locker at the factory. If anyones taken it off before, might not be too bad. You may need leverage such as a long breaker bar or shorter bar with 'cheater' pipe. Don't use the steering wheel lock for counter pressure or you'll probably break it. Have someone hold the steering wheel or support from the floor with a piece of wood with a pad on top. As a last resort heat the bolt head with a propane torch. This is not for the faint of heart since any contact or near contact between the flame and the car's interior could result in expensive damage.

One last thing. Getting the steering wheel back on staight. The steering wheel and steering shaft connection is splined. It's easy to remount the steering wheel off by one spline and this will not be noticed until you driving along and notice the steering wheel isn't straight. I forget which one but either the steering wheel or shaft has a missing spline at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock. If you use that gap to guide a pen and make a mark on the other part you'll have no trouble getting them back together aligned.

BTW, while your in there you might as well tighten that pinch screw as preventive maintenance. I put thread locker on mine.

Good luck.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:02 AM

Big thanks Richard for all you support time and patience, gonna send her into the shop for this one, got a fair price for the original part(out of stock at present getting one sent for Germany) and fair price for fitting, I have had 2 fitted in a year and a half by a back street machanic, reckoned the part was'nt Mercedes but a copy, this way at least I will have some sort of garauntee, Kind regards Sean in Ireland