Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Default Service Intervals

Can anyone explain to me the coding used for the various service intervals, it would appear that the service intervals don't go from 'A' to 'B' to 'C' to 'D' but can be any character, this apparently relates to the amount of work required but each time my car is serviced in the garage it appears to have virtually the same things done, also what are the 'Additional Work' and 'Items' in the service menu for, they have things in them like 'Service 13' and 'Service 15', what are these relating to.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Default RE: Service Intervals

I thought that there were just two types of service A and B which in simple terms alternate. One of these (B) is a little more comprehensive than the other.
Additional work is stuff that is not covered by the normal service A & B which in fact cover very little. e,g, Oil and filter change + safety checks etc.
Things like replace brake pads, tyres etc are extra. That's why you have a warning light since different driving styles cause brakes to wear at very different rates.
Jobs like change antifreeze, change brake fluid, change trans oil are all non scheduled jobs but have a place for records to be made in the service book.
Service 13 and 15. Haven't a clue.
Like with many new technology cars there is very little other than oil and filter changes which need to be done unless a malfunction light illuminates. Most of the A & B service jobs are well within the scope of the home enthusiast and fall under the heading of safety. Check tyres tread and pressure, check bulbs, washers, seat belts etc.
Dealers are supposed to ensure that no codes are showing up on the on board diagnostics.
Dealer servicing is no doubt thorough but poor value.
Some countries (eg UK) require the car to be serviced by the main dealer otherwise warranty and residual value are adversely effected.
Stuart

Old 06-21-2006, 01:33 PM

Old 06-21-2006, 07:13 PM

We recently purchased a 1998 e320 AWD, but the service book did not come with it. It just hit 90k miles.
Could anyone who has the book pass along information as to whether any significant scheduled maintenance should be done? I'm guessing it's either 80k or 90k.

Thanks, in advance, for any help!