Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigate by coordinates

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Default Navigate by coordinates

Hello,

Glad to see this forum here.

We took delivery on an E-320 cdi a few days ago and I was very excited to discover coordinates as well as addresses can be entered in the destination field of the navigation system. First attempt at entering coords, presented a prompt "location not on map". Further inspection revealed W and N are reversed from how it's entered in our handheld GPS... okay, that duly noted, moved on to entering the digits (in "reverse"), however, I'm confused on how to enter "seconds". The example given from the E-320 nav. book is:
74* 0' 14,8" W
40* 42' 58,5" N

It seems there's a comma in the last digit, I'm not sure what that indicates or how I arrive at a figure.

I want to enter the coordinates:
N39 47.156
W79 10. 694

Am not sure how to handle the comma which I suppose is seconds.?. Is there a way to convert .### to (the car's) ##,# ?

Here is what I entered (guessing) (and bear in mind N and W are reversed in the car coords):
79* 10' 59,9W
39* 47' 15,6N

When I look at the route on the nav screen, (haven't driven it yet) these coords takes me to thegeneral area, looking to be reasonably close but appearing not to be the exact area where my mapping softwre shows for these coords.

Planning on driving up there tomorrow. Not worried about directions getting there, just want to learn how to convert to the comma way of entering the nav. coords.

Thanks very much,
Chere

Old 06-22-2006, 04:52 AM
Default RE: Navigate by coordinates

If anyone is interested in this, I have the solution with both an online site for conversion and a manual calculation. Post if interested.