Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulsating brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Default pulsating brakes

please help. brake pulsating problem only when trying to stop on low speed (stop light). already replaced brake pads and rotors, very annoing when at stop lights car does not slow down smooth but in waves. 400E, 1992

Last edited by mrbuyer; 07-17-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:01 PM

could be crappy aftermarket pads and rotors, ive seen brand new rotors warped many times. are they mercedes brakes and rotors? if they are aftermarket buy good ones, because cheap ones will cause you heartache. how are your tires? worn tires can sometimes give that feel of pulsation.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Default Buy OEM eqpt

I've been roasted by cheap brakes. Buy OEM. If the problem persists, it could be the tires... good luck.

Still lovin' my E. Last tank averaged 28 MPG in mostly HWY/30%city mix. I have a 3 mile section of interstate that I go on every day. No cops, guaranteed... too hilly and no place to hide. Easy to hit 110 for a quick "morning breath" on the way to work. Great feeling when nobody else is around.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Default thanks guys

i have tried everything i can think of but tires, I have bought new micheline tires six months ago. replaced brakes one by one to see which one could cause the problem. I don't remember if the problem was before new tires but I didn't try replacing them. could it be ABS or something else. I tried driving pushing brakes and gas together 5-7 ml per hour, i think i could still feel the waves.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:41 AM

forced induction is correct. it could be the ABS kicking in, but usually when this happens youll get the triangle light flashing in the cluster. make sure all your tire sizes are the same first. if the tire sizes are to different in size, the traction control thinks that one of the wheels are slipping and engages the brakes or engine torque down.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Default update

thanks everyone for help. after disconnecting ABS there was no chenges so i went back to checking brake rotors. I bought new rear brake rotors to replace the ones I got on ebay. they still to new to brake good but pulsation did not come back ( it's been three days).

Old 08-02-2009, 12:53 AM

ok i will give you some advise. only buy mercedes benz brakes and rotors for your car e400 are notorious for warping rotors. if you put aftermarket pads and rotors on this car they will warp and will squeal. i know you pay more for these parts but it is a must when repairing these car to use factory parts

Old 08-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Default thanks

thanks for advice. i love this car and i have pretty experience with it.
It was misfiring teribly i could not solve the problem untill i read on this forum an advece of one old mechanic that this car will shut the injector if the spark or wire misfire.(his advice) i put long screwdriver on each injector and found one, replaced the wire and forgor the problem.
My AC would turn off at times when taking of or acsillerating. Woren belt was slipping, i replaced the belt it is good now.
every time i locked into big problem it came out something simple and obvious, but hard to fined even for mechanic.
where can i find a manual axplaning every part on the car and what it is doing?
thanks to everyone for shearing your knowlage.