Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Pulsating brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Default Pulsating brakes

Hi guys-

Upon applying the brakes in my 1992 400SE the car vibrates, from the pedal and a little bit from the wheel.

I went ahead and turned all four rotors and I still can't get rid of it. At times it can be a little bit violent. It is at its worst between 55 and 30 as I slow.

My tires and factory rims are brand new about a month ago and have been balanced on a Hunter Road Force balancer.

I dont know what else to do with this car............ any advice? Car is smooth until I hit the darn brakes.

Kyle

Old 10-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Default RE: Pulsating brakes

First of all, you have composite rotors and they shouldn't need turning, but people do anyway. Sometimes when rotors get wet and you slam on the brakes, that can warp them. Hard-braking will sometimes warp them, or being parked on a hill with the emergency brake on, I hear may cause some degree of warping. Basically, as I understand it, it's the driving habit that causes them to warp in most instances. Other instances would be environmental which would or may cause glazing, which contributes to squealing, as does loose pads.

However, your issue is a little different. You've balance your tires, and your rims are not bent because they are brand new. Well, this is what you need to do without fail, if you want to source your problem. Check the following steering and/or suspension components:

a. Tie-rod ends - they may be shot.
b. Wheel-bearings - they don't always give a loud roar as an indicator.
c. Upper-Control Arm bushings - Control arm may need replacing.
d. Upper and Lower Ball-Joints - They may be shot too.
e. Pittman-Arm - May be loose. (also check for leaking fluid from the steering gear)
f. Stabilizer links/bushings - May need replacing.
g. Shocks - Ensure they are still good. Check springs as well.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that your problem lies within one or more of the areas mentioned.

Anything that is loose in the steering or suspension components will become greatly noticeable at cruising speeds.

I point to these areas because I've experienced the same thing, and had to replace all of the above except items (e) and (f).

Post your findings. I would be interest to know what the problem was, based on your description.

Best to you.