Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems driving in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Default Problems driving in the snow

Hi, I have an '99 E300 that is lousy in the snow. I purchased 4 new Michelin Artic Alpins last fall, but that didn't help much. I'm interested in knowing how others find the E series in the snow. Is this car just generally bad in the white stuff? I turned on the ASR and that seems to help somewhat, but the car still slips and slides. I inquired at the dealer about the availability of snow chains and they told me these were not available for this vehicle. I have a Volvo 240 with only 2 rear snow tires that tracks much better than my Mercedes in the white stuff. Can anyone tell me how to improve the traction of this car in the Winter?

Old 03-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Default RE: Problems driving in the snow

Keep the air pressure on the low end of the acceptable range. That will provide more traction.

MBs are heavy cars. Anticipate what's ahead and begin corrections earlier than you normally would. It has something to do with an object's mass and one of Newton's laws of motion.

ASR is okay for taking off from a stop on level surfaces, but will cause you problems on moderate to severe slippery slopes. The problem is, if a wheel slips, the power gets cut, but you need power to get up the hill. You go nowhere really slowly.

I spent about three years working in New England. I found that drivers there are some of the worst and rudest in the world. Always in a freakin' hurry and always ready to cut other drivers off and cause mayhem. If you drive like the typical Bostonian driver, then I can see why your car slides all over. Keep in mind that most people can drive E300s in the snow with little to no problems.

Old 09-24-2005, 08:06 AM

I'm with lugnut.

Try studded tires and keep a couple hundred pounds weight in the trunk. 2 big salt bags - take the bags out when the snow's gone though you dont want to mess-up suspension or kill mileage.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:12 AM

Hey Lugnut,
I was born & raised in the Boston area (and still live/work here) and I TOTALLY agree with your statement. I always stay in the right-hand lane and let all those a$$holes pass me. I'm amazed at some of the stupid things they do. One time, this jerk passed me using the breakdown lane -- I was doing 65mph in the right-hand lane!!!! Also, many of the roads here don't encourage good driving habits. Consequently, the insurance companies are capitalizing on Massachusetts drivers.

Regards,
paul.....

Old 09-29-2005, 01:18 AM

I'm in Connecticut...i HATE driving in Mass...damn Massholes lol j/k

Old 02-26-2006, 07:58 PM

I'm not your typical Boston driver. Been driving for 40 years without an accident. I thought heavy cars would track better in the snow, but guess I was wrong. Well, back to Volvo for me. Anyone want to buy a used E300TD? Maybe I'll buy a Subaru. All wheel drive, that's all I'll drive!!!

Old 02-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Oh u wanna know some real bad drivers? Virginians they dont seem to have a problem when they drive in there own state but as soon as they come into Maryland or any other state its like they forget how to drive.

Old 02-26-2006, 09:20 PM

I'm asking $19,990 (see my ad in the Forum classifieds). I bought it new and have dealer maintained it since it was new. I have all service records. The car has never been in an accident. It was just serviced earlier this month. I want to buy a 4-wheel drive vehicle since i live in the country. Let me know if your interested. Maryland is only a few hours away.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:25 AM

I am looking into a product called a spike spider, they are an easy to attach claw that makes driving in the snow much easier. What do you guys think?

Old 10-05-2006, 09:37 PM

I live in Scotland, we get a bit of snow.
i leave the MB at home as soon as it snows and take the wife's Nissan.

RWD and snow= no go !!!

Quick Reply: Problems driving in the snow