Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering squeal

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 10:56 PM
Default Power steering squeal

I am hearing a rubber-to-metal squeak when I turn my steering wheel. It is more prevelent when turning than going over bumps. I looked at my fluid level and it appears to be less than halfway. Ideal? I have a alldatadiy account but it really does not cover much in regards to diagrams and illustrations when it comes to the more "common" parts. I have been on that site many a time and have, more than not, ended up thinking "what a useless site". It does however cover some of the more complicated testing and inspection routines. Doesn't help me here!

I've read in other posts that this portion of the car will leak inevitably. Sheesh. It sounds like a small wet rubber ball between to metal surfaces, from the inside at least. Not metallic at all, at least metal-to-metal contact. So I have a two-fold question:
What level should the resivoir be filled to? Could you post a few diagrams of the front steering components sleepwalker?

Thanks

Old 12-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Power steering squeal

if there is no level indicator on the middle plastic, just fill it up leaving at least an inch from the brim.

the squeal is not the belt? the same sound if you steer fully to end?

Old 12-22-2005, 12:51 AM

It's the same noise when the wheel is turned either left or right to each lock. i can make it creak if I turn it slow. I turned the wheel as I stood outside and am sure it is not the belt. My first thought when I heard it was a childs toy ball got lodged somewhere in the steering.
Thanks for taking time with my situation sleepwalker.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:43 AM

Is this a safety issue because I am having the same problem on my 2000 E320 like what Xacting is experiencing right now. Where is the steering fluid reservoir located? and also there is a ticking sound (fast rhythm) when I opened the hood while the engine is still running, after a while the ticking sound stopped and will go on again as if there's a timer.
Thank you in advance for your reply.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

you both got different models.

the ticking sound can be the purging valve.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:37 PM

I was fed up with this noise so I did what any red-blooded male does with those annoying squeaks, lubed 'em! Took a can of silicon spray and juiced up those bushings I could reach with the tire on and on the ground. Really wanted to jack it up and get underneath but it was too damn cold. I also sprayed into the small vent holes of the shock tower in the engine bay. It really had no immediate effect, so I cussed some more and went inside to enjoy a nice hot toddy. When I got up to go to work the next morning, the noise was about 80% gone. It took two days for the juice to completely settle into those joints but it's gone. So, now I imagine I just masked the problem and really need to replace those puppies. Is this something I can tackle. I found a site that has the two CD set online and read there are several specialized tools required to do any front end steering or suspension work.
Sleepwalker, is this something i should tackle, or should I just have an indie replace all the rubber in the front? Heck what would that cost?