Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

300E no-start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Default 300E no-start when cold

Well, I've run into this dreadful circumstance and am left scrambling. When I turn it over, it sputters as if to start but will not complete the start. Ran the battery down. Even with a jump same sputtering. I smell petrol in the engine bay too. The only thing I have done as far as maintenence is replace the spark plugs and an oil change. I have been dealing with rough idle when at normal operating temperature. I also faintly smell petrol near the pump assembly when I move the lines.

It recently became very cold here in Wisconsin and its hard to do anything out here now. It was in the 30's sunday and she started fine. I didn't let it get up to operating temperature, I just had to move her to shovel.

So, I plan on replacing a few parts this weekend when it climbs into the upper 20's. I had a couple of questions regarding part quality.
For the OVP relay is a KAE brand ok?
Anyone know a good place to buy an EHA unit from? Looks like I'm gonna pay a nice price for this one.
I also don't have any diagrams for my exhaust, so might there be a link anyone knows about? I plan on replacing all components by next spring and am unsure of all component part numbers.

So if I can replace these parts (not including exhaust), seems that I should have a car that fires up in very cold weather?

Old 12-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 300E no-start when cold

must be flloded and cannot burn the fuel anymore.

pull out a couple of sparkplug and see if it's wet with fuel. dry it well and restart.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:16 AM

This happened this morning about 6AM. I tried it again about 2:30PM and the same thing. Wish I could go outside and tinker except it's about 3 degress F out here! Terrible early freeze [>:]. I smelled petrol both times in the engine bay. I am so downtrodden.... Thanks sleepwalker, i'll have to wait till Wednesday before I can tinker at all.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:23 PM

Something more happens now... After cranking it, with no starting, maybe three or four times the windshield wiper kicks in! Oh No! My first thoughts are the main wiring harness. Also, the locking solenoids engage by themselves It has an aftermarket alarm that also ends up blinking when it locks itself. Hell, I had to fork out 50$ yesterday when this happenend. It happened again this morning. I watched the locks go down and the LED come on! Yikes!

Any thoughts?

Old 12-10-2005, 06:14 PM

Ok, had a chance to try it again today. Finally a little warmer outside. I replaced the battery. Put in new plugs and cleaned the ICV. The plugs were indeed wet with fuel. The hoses to the ICV seemed a little loose so I'll replace those soon. I imagine the rubber is just old. It did start, however hesitant. I got her nice and warm. Cleaning the ICV was very effective it appears. Idle smoothed out some. I was going to replace the OVP relay but the part I was givin has two fuses on it instead of the one thats on there now. I got all my parts from the stealership so is this correct? Should it be the two fuse relay or the one?

Old 12-22-2005, 12:18 PM

I suspect spark, did you check if you have spark????? Since you didn't state how old the car is I suspect a few years back in age. If you had rough idele and I suspect possibly some rough running I would be terribly suspecious of the plug wires. They do degrade over time and in lean conditions like idling the spark is too weak. SOmetimes new plugs will mask the problem for a short time.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:45 PM

It definatly had to do with spark. Since I did replace the spark plugs (Very cheap and easy insurance) and saw the old ones were wet, things are going better. Starts after the first turnover. It will shut off after the first turnover and initial idleing, but it does this very few times. Imagine the cracked ICV hose to mani connection should be replaced, should help. Cleaning the ICV was probably the best thing in this situation though.
Everyone I can't stress enough, pull out that ICV and soak her in some carb cleaner!! It was an immediate difference. Be careful though, if you pull on the hose to the manifold too hard it will tear it. Especially if it has never been removed. I'm tempted to put a hose clamp on mine. Until I get a new one. From the looks of it's connection location to the manifold, gonna be a real b%$&H to remove.