Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake left on!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Default Parking brake left on!!!!!!

I trusted my idiot neighbor to take my 2003 300E to the carwash and he left the parking brake on. He drove at freeway speed (65 mph) for about 10-12 miles. All the warning lights and beeping alarms came on, but he ignored them. As I said, IDIOT!! There is an acrid burning smell coming from the back wheels, and I need to know what damage has been done. Does anyone know what happens to the brakes, the fluid, etc. when the car is driven with the p. brake on? Thanks for any info.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:15 AM
Default RE: Parking brake left on!!!!!!

Hi,
Parking Brake is achieved by a simple drum brake inside the rear disc brake. This is independent from the rear brakes and therefore the main braking system of the car.

Yes there will be an acrid smell from the rear brake linings which will have at best been worn but at worse COULD have damaged the drum (which is the inside of the rear discs). However even if this has happened it is unlikely to be a problem since the Parking Brake is (supposed to be) only used to secure the car when stationary and the condition of the friction surface is not that important. (Its usually heavily rusted anyway since MANY people don't appear to use the Parking Brake if the vehicle is fitted with Auto.

Warning lights came on? What warning lights other than the "Parking Brake" light? Can't see any connection here. Pad warning is only on the main braking system as is fluid level.

It is just possible that the heat generated caused the main system brake fluid to get hot but this isn't monitored and although it could cause the fluid to expand only Low Fluid is measured.

Since we are talking BRAKES it would be PRUDENT to get the problem inspected by a repair shop to ensure that no other damage has been caused. The key question is how HOT did the brakes get. Brakes are designed to run at extremely high temperatures but EXCESS temperatures can damage seals and wheel bearings.

Just remove rear wheels, remove rear calipers, remove rear disc, inspect Park Brake shoes for wear and signs of excess heat. (e,g, Blue discs)

The author of this response is NOT responsible for any consequences arising from the advice given.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Default RE: Parking brake left on!!!!!!

wow..stupid neighbor...