Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Questions - where is plugin for diagnostics on e320?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Default Newbie Questions - where is plugin for diagnostics on e320?

Hi Sorry if its an obvious answer but I am a newbie - collected my car today a 2000 e320 estate and need to plugin my 16 pin diagnostic tool to check all thats wrong with car - if anyone knows where I plug it in that woukd be great.

another newbie question - what exactly is involved in a B major service? - car has done 60K miles - but has been standing in drive way for 18 months.

current errors include: ABS,BAS,ESP, and washer bottle doesnt pump - when the car is switched off it says 4 malfunctions - but doesnt mention what they are - hence the diagnostic plugin....;-)

Another weird thing is that the two small LCDs on the dash either side of the main display arent visible and show garbled info - what fixes are there for this?

cheers & thanks for your answers in advance

JCG (UNITED KINGDOM)

Old 09-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Default RE: Newbie Questions - where is plugin for diagnostics on e320?

I CAN ONLY ANSWER THE LOCATION FOR THE SCAN TOOL. IF YOU OPEN YOUR DRIVERS DOOR AND GET DOWN ON ONE KNEE, LOOKING UNDER THE DASH, BETWEEN THE STEERING WHEEL AND THE BRAKE PEDAL, YOU'LL SEE THE SMALL BLACK DOOR THAT OPENS DOWN. BEHIND THIS, YOU'LL FIND THE LOCATION OF THE DIAGNOSTIC PIN. I RECOOMEND YOU DO THE DIAGNOSTIC ON THE CLIMATE CONTROL AS WELL. YOU DONT NEED THE SCAN TOOL. YOU CAN RUN THE CHECK RIGHT ON THE CLIAMTE CONTROL. JSUT TO GET A PICTURE OF ANY FAULT CODES IN THERE. SEARCH FOR THE PROCEDURE ON HOW TO EXTRACT THE CODES (DTC'S) FOR CLIMATE CONTROL. YOU'LL BE AMAZED ON HOW USEFUL IT WILL BE. (AND INVEST IN THE "KEYS AND HOOKS" TO PULL THE CLUSTER OUT AS WELL AS THE RADIO/CLIMATE CONTROL. WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT.)

Old 10-01-2006, 06:13 PM

Hi PLYRHATR,

thanks for your reply - I looked under the dash and removed the trim panel etc to get a good look - however the connector wasnt there - I then popped the bonnet and found a circular connector (sprinter type?) in the fuse box - does this mean my cars a crossover model with a later tyoe connector.

Tomorrow I will fit a new brake light switch and hope / pray that this removes the ABS/BAS/ESP issue - I can then attempt to get it through an MOT test (UK roadworthy test) and get it back on the road etc

thanks

JCG
E320 estate

Old 10-01-2006, 09:25 PM

No, what he's saying is that your vehicle is OBD II compliant, and there should be a connector under the steering wheel. You should look closer. There should be a little flap, and when you open the flap you'll see the scanner connector.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:31 AM

jcgphoto,

Watching your post with great interest as I have the exact problems and B-service questions for my 2000 e320 sedan.

ABS/ESP/BAS error, two LCD's are garbled on mine as well. And like you, my B-Service is due.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:21 PM

Hi - Fitted new switch to brake pedal & it cleared the error messages - both EAS & ABS

the dash lights can be fixed by a UK company: http://www.speedofixer.co.uk/ - though based in the UK will do mail order - however I cant run to a fix until next year when my seasonal job comes online again...;-)

found further convertors to fix a standard 16 pin plug to my 'sprinter' euro spec diagnostic connector to the car or I can buy the pc based system used by garages.

thanks for all your support & help

cheers from United Kingdom

JCG