Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie With New E240 with lots of ??s

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Default Newbie With New E240 with lots of ??s

Greeting Guy's

This is my first post as I have just come over from the Darkside (BMW 525i M Tech) and have finnally bit the bullet and purchased my 2003 E240 (New Model) Classic. But being a newbie I have a few questions which would be great if you pros could answer them for me.

1) I live in Ireland. Would anybody know what sort of realistic fuel consumption I would get out of this car. I have a middling driving style, my car is a petrol, automatic with 38K on the clock. The driving I do is mostly motorway where I commute 35 miles each way to work across Irelands notorious M50.

2) I keep on hearing this mumbled electronics sound in the car at any particular time. When test driving the car the salesguy said it was the computer checking all the systems in the car and that this happened all the time???

3) I also noticed that where the cd changer is situated in the dash, right beside the headrest button the lights dont come on? Is this car prone to electrical problems.

4) What sort of re-occuring problems have people had with this car, is it particulay troublesome (LIke the BMW 5 series E60).

5) I want to take the classic Badges off my car and put on the elegence ones. I know this means changing the strips on the bumper and side mouldings? Are these expensive and does anyone have any contacts where we could get these bits cheaper???

I really appreciate your help with these questions and I am sorry for asking questions that have been answered by members before,

cheers Morgan

[&:]

[&:]

Old 08-20-2006, 06:29 AM
Default RE: Newbie With New E240 with lots of ??s

Hi,
1) Fuel consumption is primarily down to driving style, "Middling" isn't sufficiently descriptive of a style.
The VCA.gov.uk web site gives fuel consumption of all UK cars for legal/emmission purposes.
Don't assume that you will achieve these figures however. They are purely comparative and achieved in the laboratory.
Don't take too much account of "friends" either.
You need to do tank to tank checks and be honest about driving conditions.
Don't believe the onboard computer either. Some manufacturers include "flatter" on the read out to keep customers happy!

For instance the consumption on my S Class 320 is 35 mpg at 75 mph on the motorway (on cruise) over a regular 200 X2 (400 return) mile journey. However around town it is more like 22. At motorway speeds its all about drag = CdA (Coeffiucient of drag X frontal area) The S class has excellent Cd but has quite large frontal area A although the car lowers itself at motorway speeds to help with this.
Your C class should end up very similar. Drag isn't as good but area is smaller.

Around town its all about weight. So you will be much better than the S Class.

Diesel is excellent on part throttle (around town) however it offers little benefit at larger throttle openings = motorway.
Engine size isn't SIMPLY related to consumption either. Sometimes a larger engine can return better MPG dependent upon gearing and other factors.

Weather (head wind) makes a TREMENDOUS difference also.
Tyres likewise. Wide low profiles gobble fuel!
AirCon will reduce consumption by up to 10%!! I keep mine off most of the time.

Go fill up your tank to BRIM (not first cut off) and start driving. 300 to 400 miles later refill (Brim) and work out consumption. its the only realistic way to reflect your style.
NB. Don't leave a vehicle brimmed with fuel parked up since if the fuel expands in the tank you will have a problem/leak. Start using the fuel immediately.

2) First computer I've heard of that makes a noise while it works!! More likely its the ventilation fan for the cabin temperature sensor.

3) I also noticed that where the cd changer is situated in the dash, right beside the headrest button the lights dont come on? I don't understand what you mean with this one.

Is this car prone to electrical problems. Not particularly. All modern cars are prone to electronics problems especially if they get wet. The more kit the greater the likely hood of a malfunction of some sort.

4) Read the forum.

5) All MB parts are expensive!

Stuart