Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first E class; having electrical issues. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 06:53 AM
Unhappy My first E class; having electrical issues. Help!

Just picked up a 2000 E430, pretty nice car altogether. However in my investigation I have discovered that I have NO brake lights. I'm good with scouring the internet for information, and did everything from the fuse and bulbs which had questionable filaments, to the notorious brake light switch that seems to affect alot of these cars. I have the infamous BAF/ABS lights as soon as I hit the brake pedal. I removed the kick panel and got to the harness, tried the new brake light switch, same problem.

I notice that when I depressed the brake light switch, old one as well as new one that the BAF/ABS light comes on as soon as I depress the switch/push the pedal. I have other small issues, cluster lights work intermittently, driver's headrest does not work. I am thinking it has to be a bad ground somewhere, but also understand that these cars have sensitive electrical systems. Are there any common failure points I should look for?

I no longer own a power probe to diagnose these issues, but have a multi-meter. I figured to check for 12 volts at the switch when I get time, which wire do I go for? Can I run 12 volts to it in the meantime? Can I run a "temporary" ground anywhere? In the daytime, my temporary solution is to flick the running lights on while hitting the brake, it's very annoying but scrapes me by during the day. However, this does not work at night or early morning.

This car being my DD, and having to commute (quite a bit) poses an obvious safety hazard.

Anybody have any insight? I need to rectify this issue ASAP.

Thanks!

Last edited by tmwcpwnz; 01-18-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:13 AM

UPDATE:

I ended up resolving the issue. It was something with the wiring, I disconnected the plugs from each tail light, removed the backseat, decided to start checking fuses in the box back there, jiggled the main red distribution harness, and they work! Now I get to move onto my next part of the project; I am giving her a tune up. Plugs, wires and coils. This car was relatively neglected by the previous owner, so I am going to slowly love her back to life.