Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My baby just won't start..

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Default My baby just won't start..

Hey guys, this is my first post and i've been actually planning on posting a build thread recently with my 300te/300e swap. Instead my 300e decided to not want to start anymore.

Its a '88 with unknown milage on it, i keep it maintained and for the most part keep it in .. working in order.. It happened one night after work, i went to start it and it wouldn't, it just kept turning over. First i immediately thought, well maybe my pumps arent pumping, i couldn't hear them start up so i wired them directly and they work fine. The fuel filter is recently new, and i've changed out the eha because i have a spare and i checked my ovp, fpr, and kilma relays and checked for spark in the cylinders. All that seems to be working just fine. I havent been able to check out the cps (crank positioning sensors) but i will soon. Do ya'll think ya'll could help me out?

Old 10-03-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by dr1ft@gious
Do ya'll think ya'll could help me out?
Did you check all the fuses?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 AM

it's cold outside...it's wet here. car's cold. cranks but won't start. second battery attached for jumpstart. hear the pump run. crank till second battery was enough to start it. hmm. what did i do? i pumped alotta air. i cycled the pump repeatedly. i created some heat thru friction. once it started, it ran right and restarted all day. till cold soak. 7th "service manual" i read says ecu reverts to basic run parameter when it can't get its info. or doesn"t like the info it gets. it wants to know how cold is it? it speaks ohms. there must be 5 different electrical devices that could be the ECT (coolant temp sensor) 3 more books and a schematic and i find it. its at front of head on mine and so are several others, but it's gotta have a green wire with a red stripe. library trip reveals ohm check specs to be @5k ohms for ambient 2day. guess what! it's open. tried to buy new one. guy tried to sell me a gauge sender, dumdum, i looked it up myself. can't wait to try it. next try is cold start valve operation. see if u have a thermotime sw . oh and engine ground straps. then aux air valve for stays shut/ cold. best books are euro haynes and benz bible free from library, then mitchell database. and the adventure continues. hope this helps!! there may well be some fuel pressure tests and pressure change functional readings in my future. you may want to get personal with your crank sensor gaposis and readings. look for hoses popped off your aux air valve !!! sincerely, 190Erur rur rur

Old 03-03-2012, 07:45 PM

something to check. push down on the air flow meter make sure there is resistance being created by fuel pressure. something else to maybe check is for a huge vacuum leak. i have seen a hose pop off from time to time under the air flow meter that will cause a huge vacuum leak and not allow the car to start. how ever its really hard to diagnosis with the car not being in front of me. it needs 4 things to start. fuel, spark, compression and air. air usually isnt the problem but unmetered air is a problem