Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked up Break and transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Default Locked up Break and transmission

Hey guys, i'm new to this forum,
I have a 1992 190E and the other day my ignition went out. My key would no turn. I had some oen come out and replace it, but now if i step on the break I cant move the transmission from Park to Drive. I asked around and pepople said it might be no installed probly might be a relay, might be the transmission.

Any ideas on what it might be. Everything turns on fine, i just cant get it to shift from P to D

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

Old 05-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Default RE: Locked up Break and transmission

I'm new to the forum too -- and new to Mercedes products. I know that in other vehicles there is sometimes a switch activated by the brake pedal for functions like disengaging cruise control or allowing shifting from P to an operating gear. With some cars, you can move the shifter with the car off. Try getting it into N...then start...then shift to an operating gear.?...Won't solve the problem, but might be troubleshoot and rule-out something major (like the tranny). I have no input as to whether the ignition fix could have anything to do with this problem. Hopefully you'll get more responses from the forum knowledge base. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2007, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the reply, It worked before the guy replaced the ignition. I'm trying to find a repair manual so it can help me refrence the situation, Hopefully som one on here will have the answer...thanks

Old 05-27-2007, 01:19 AM

90% confidence it is the brake pedal switch or connections to it. Do your brake lights work?
10% is due to the coincidence that it occured when the ignition switch was changed.
Brake light switch problems are common. Two circuits. One Normally Open / One Normally Closed.. One cicuit works the brakes lights, the other the Cruise, ABS etc.
Do the Brake lights work?
Stuart

Old 05-29-2007, 05:36 PM

Yes the breaks work, the car starts up everythign works, but still cant move the gear into Drive...its driving me crazy..i'm tired of taking the buss....

any help

thanks

how about a repair manual or something like that

Old 06-09-2007, 05:34 PM

My 2000 ML55 would not disengage the cruise control when I would tap on the brake.
Scared the hell out of me. So,I move the cruise lever and it disengaged. I stopped to get gas
and I could not shift from P to D. I found in my owners manual, there is a small hole near the
gear selector, where I could use a pen to push down and was able to move the gear.
I drove home. Brakes were working but not the brake lights.
I replaced teh brake switch, problem solved. Gear shifts and brake lights work.
Check your brake lights, see if they are working.