Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hopefully this will boil over soon.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Default Hopefully this will boil over soon.

Hello, I'm so glad that I've found this message board.

My wife and I had just bought a Black 1990 Mercedes 300 E Sedan this past weekend and very much have enjoyed it. Though, like any other owner buying a 14 year old car, (especially a mercedes), would like to take care of it such as buying missing parts here or there and giving it a good wax. To make the long story short, this past Sunday I had poured in a "Fuel Injector & Carburetor" cleaner that I had purchased from Wal-mart.

The next day, it ran poorly. When the car is in idle at a red light, it would shake like it was going to die. It would sput-out when accelerating, but when it goes, it would be smooth as it can be (On the highway, everything seems alright).

I went to the dealership and they recommended us using "GB Fuel Injector Cleaner" on my next tank fill-up. I did it and it still not getting better. It was the same as before. The Dealership had told me that it would get worst before it gets better. They also recommended us driving it hardcore such as stomping on the gas while we're on the highway to knock out the gunk build-up in the fuel injector. Don't like doing it too much because I feel like I am hurting the car.

Other than that, no complaints about the car...it looks brand new.

Has this happened to anyone? If so, please let me know so I can be patient.

Old 08-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Default RE: Hopefully this will boil over soon.

I had the same problem with my 87' 260e. Basically, your fuel injectors are just a little dirty after so many years of continuous use. In my past experience, I have found that most in-tank fuel injector cleaners don't really accomplish much except for making you $5-10 poorer. If you were going to use one, I would reccomend using the Lucas brand cleaner.

I found it out the hard way, but for your year of Mercedes, problems witht the fuel injection system are rare and it can usually hold up for many many years and miles. After you have gone through 1 or 2 more tanks of gas without adding any additives, the car should return to normal. I would also reccomend changing the oil after a couple more tanks of gas as well, just to ensure your starting off with a clean slate.

Old 08-11-2004, 07:19 PM

Thanks, I will try that. I have changed the oil for the car today and going away for the weekend. Hopefully this will clear it up after so many gas fill-up along the way.

Again, thanks for the response.

Old 08-18-2004, 12:56 AM

To answer your question about the fuel additive, use NAPTHA. You can buy it at most paint stores by the gallon and it is very inexpensive. Use 1 pint per tank every once in awile, or if you have a problem use more. I have used as much as 1/2 gallon per tank on cars that have been sitting. You can add the naptha, run the car for 15mins and shut it down for the weekend while it does its magic.
-Jim-

Old 08-18-2004, 07:42 AM

Naptha? I'm not saying one way or the other, but it sounds funny putting lighter fluid in the tank. I guess it's a mild solvent. Kinda like mineral spirits.

Are you sure it won't hurt modern rubber seals and fuels lines? What about fumes on the O2 sensors? What about residue? I thought naptha left residue.

This isn't some Ford Model A trick thing, is it? My father-in-law told me everyone used to "shine up" their Model A for the weekends by wiping them down with motor oil.

Are you going to tell me that fuel injection cleaners in a can are naptha? For all I know, they are. Still sounds funny, though.

Old 08-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

it is also said that using coke to clean the chrome on your '55 Bel Air, will give it more shine.

Old 08-18-2004, 10:33 AM

I tried that once but it didn't work any better than Pepsi.

Old 08-18-2004, 07:50 PM

I'm not going on what i heard at some swap meet, i am speaking from experience. I had to deal with alot of mercedes that sat quite a bit, a big no no for CIS injection. It works........and it works great. Next time you buy one of those little $7 mobil "drive your engine clean" injector cleaners look at the fine print.
-Jim-

Old 08-18-2004, 10:57 PM

Now, don't get your panties in a bunch. I'm asking whether naptha reacts with sensitive car parts. It's a legitimate question. Instead of answering my question, you offer this:

It works........and it works great.
Well, okay, but do you have any data to support that statement and data showing that it won't do damage to any seals or sensors? You should be able to answer these questions if you make such a claim. You become defensive instead.

BTW, my gas-powered lawn tools won't run after a year or two of sitting with gas in them because the gas loses it's potential energy. It's nothing a fresh tank won't fix or if it's extreme, something to clean off the laquer. May as well be lighter fluid, I guess.

Also BTW, I don't buy those little cans of cleaner so what's in the fine print? For the second time, can you answer that question?

Old 08-18-2004, 11:46 PM

I'm not going on what i heard at some swap meet, i am speaking from experience. I had to deal with alot of mercedes that sat quite a bit, a big no no for CIS injection. It works........and it works great. Next time you buy one of those little $7 mobil "drive your engine clean" injector cleaners look at the fine print.
-Jim
I must be stupid? What part of this is defensive?
Maybe the last line "Read the fine print" Let me elaborate for you. The fine print says "NAPTHA". Better?
I said to read the fine print not defensively, but to watch the lightbulb go off when you see what you're paying for. Kind of like a "teach a man to fish " thing. Sorry you're so touchy.
-Jim-

Quick Reply: Hopefully this will boil over soon.