Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help......Engine feels rough...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 03:19 AM
Default Help......Engine feels rough...

Hello!</P>

I have a 97 e320 and the car feels rough during idle and driving!</P>

I have only 50,000 miles on the car. The rpm at idle do not change, so I don't believe it is the idle</P>

The car seems to rock side to side and the engine check light is on.</P>

Can it need a replacement of the timing belt already?</P>

Has anyone else have this problem.</P>

Thanks</P>

</P>

Old 08-01-2003, 02:47 PM

the timing chain tensoner could be at fault, if in dought replace imediatly. replace the engine oil with 10w 50 grade mineral oil and replace the engine mounts. these parts should all cost around £120 but to the best of my knowledge they should cure any vibrations especially the replacement of the mounts. perhaps your car has a balance shaft contact the dealer and get info on this if it does its problibly broken but this is hichly unlikely but possible all the same if the engine has one.

Old 08-01-2003, 03:25 PM

If you have a check engine light, you should take it to someone who can scan it and tell you what it says. Though the engines are not the same, I understand the E320's suffer from some of the same problems as our C280. The first two suspects are the OVP (over voltage protection) relay, and the ignition wiring harness. It's unlikely to be a timing beltor engine mounts with your low mileage. Good luck!</P>

My wife is ready to trade her 79K'95 C280 for something reliable. You'd think the Mercedes small cars could be as reliable as a Honda, but not so. We're into it to the tune of two alternators, a front timing cover gasket, and recently,ignition harness (incl coils and ignition wires and plugs), and this morning more rough running right after start. It DID manage to get to about 50K without any many problems....</P>

Oh well! Bought new, always garaged, regular recommended maintenance. About $ .45 per mile, plus gas, insurance, and taxes!</P>

Old 08-17-2003, 08:58 AM

The reason why all these parts on your merc have fialed horace is almost certianly because your car was not maintianed properly. to buy a merc it is vital that it has a full and comprhensive dealer only service history, if not the car has been maintianed on the cheap which is a hugh no no to cars as pristige as a mercedes benz. i have followed this golden rule when buying any of my 4 mercs and have never had to change so much as a spark plug in any of them. for someone to compare a honda to a mercedes on reliability stakes is pathetic. who fitted the alternator and if it was a main dealer surly you had a comeback on the gaurantee and was it a geniune merc part. who fitted it and if so much didit cost. also what caused itto fial as ive never heard of one fialing yet, ever!</P>

you probably wont bother to reply like everyone else on this site but i must take this oppertuinty to stressthat mercs are bombproof cars whom if maintianed on the cheap do not like it, so when buying one or indeed owning one make sure all the services are up to date otherwise you will almost certianly have problems. had to put it blunt so in advance, sorry</P>

joe, a hugh merc enthusiast </P>

87 200 w124, 96 e320 w210, 97 c180 w202, 86 500sel w126</P>

</P>