Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas saving tips anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Default gas saving tips anyone?

i have a 94 e320....was wondering about any simple modifications i do to save gas (even 1-2 mpg)...was thinking of a k&n intake..any suggestions?. thanks in advance

j-mang

Old 07-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Default RE: gas saving tips anyone?

Forget about a K&N filter. You won't gain anything as the original air intake system is the most efficient you can get.
1-2mpg increase (and more) can easily be gained by having a car in tip-top state of tune driven by a very light right footed driver..
And remember, every time you use the brake pedal, you're wasting fuel burned earlier to accelerate.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:34 PM

what about aftermarket intake systems..aka..aluminum tubes instead of the plastic air box...are those any good..or just a bunch of rubbish?..thanks again

j-mang

Old 07-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

See with these type of cars, people tried all type of things, some get a slight hp increase and others no change, but no one I know ever get MPG change from just changing the air intake stuff. Even I have a K&N filter but it was on the car when I bought it and I find it convient that I don't have to change that bugger every oil change or so becasue some mechanic keeps putting his greasy oil grubby hands on the filter part. But there is no hp gain, no gas mileage gain, maybe on a smaller engine, but not my engine. And usually with Mercedes, they design the air intake precisely and most efficiently. Remember, these things are built to run all day top speed on autobahns (not with the best of gas mileage though.)

Now back to you, the easiest most efficient way to get better gas mileage is to probably change your driving habits and just keeping the car in good running condition and keep the engine block itself cleaned. Caked up oil/grease/dirt build up on the engine block insulates heat and makes the engine run slighly less effecient which down the line they say can chew up an extra mile or two off the mpg rating.

The gas is starting to hit hard. even I sometimes think about a smaller engine car every blue moon. Well that is until I get behind the wheel of the 5.6 V8 gas guzzler and realize it's just a small sacrifice right now for everything else my car offers.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:35 AM

Keep the tires at max. air pressure, injector cleaner with every fourth tank or so, keep the cooling system in top shape, oil changes, like others already posted....keep it tuned.

Keep all driveline fluids, trans to diff, full and fresh...reduce friction.

Remember heat is a necessary evil in a gasoline engine, do the most you can to keep it cool.

Fight the urge to STOMP IT! This may be the most difficult one!

michael

Old 07-29-2006, 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: stahlkrieger

Fight the urge to STOMP IT! This may be the most difficult one!

michael
lol, you and me both man.