Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension Driver side sitting low

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Default Front suspension Driver side sitting low

Good day to all,

I have a station wagon 2004 E500 and had a recent issue. I realized that the suspension on the driver side was low and a message "stop, car too low" was showing on the dash....
I stopped driving it but before taking it to the dealer would like to have some ideas about this issue... If someone could help...
I appreciate your help and comments...

Thank you

Old 06-11-2011, 04:19 PM

those e classes with airmatic suspension do have issues with struts, i just replaced 2 airmatic struts on cars like yours this week alone. could be a leaking line or leaky valve block but usually the strut goes bad. when it comes to the shop the first thing i do is remove the air line to the strut and see if it holds air by operating the pump and seeing if the pressure holds by looking at the actual value in star diagnostic machine, if the pressure holds it probably a bad strut. the 1 strut i did was about 3.6 hours labor depending on the year and type of airmatic strut installed on your car. plus 1 hour diagnosis.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by chassis221
those e classes with airmatic suspension do have issues with struts, i just replaced 2 airmatic struts on cars like yours this week alone. could be a leaking line or leaky valve block but usually the strut goes bad. when it comes to the shop the first thing i do is remove the air line to the strut and see if it holds air by operating the pump and seeing if the pressure holds by looking at the actual value in star diagnostic machine, if the pressure holds it probably a bad strut. the 1 strut i did was about 3.6 hours labor depending on the year and type of airmatic strut installed on your car. plus 1 hour diagnosis.
Thank you. I will try today and have it towed if the struts needs to be changed.
Thank you again, it help.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Morgan
Thank you. I will try today and have it towed if the struts needs to be changed.
Thank you again, it help.
Just curious, how do we activate the pump for testing? Also, is the struts are hard to changed by yourself?

Thank you

Old 06-12-2011, 04:54 PM

you really need a benz computer to do that. you can probably remove the air line from the strut and put your finger over the line...but it is very high pressure. you need to see the pressure in the system to see if pressure drops while closing off the air line. you can try to remove the line and then raise the suspension and the pump should run. be careful not to lose any of the small brass fittings when removing the air line.
it is a tough job. depending on the strut design. axle shaft has to come out, spindle/knuckle comes off sway bar link comes off. pretty tough kob by yourself. you really need a lift for the repair.