General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

92 500sl r129 - front is sitting on the ground

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Default 92 500sl r129 - front is sitting on the ground

I have a 92 500sl R129, the car was sitting for about 2 years and I recently replaced a lot of things before starting her up again that I knew needed replacing. I also replaced the front suspension "spheres" that connect to the hydraulic auto leveling suspension, I think it's called ASR or something like that?

The car has always had issues with the front sitting too low, so after all the work i start her up and everything is working fine except for the suspension. The front is sitting as low as it possibly can, I let the car run for a good 1 hour thinking it might bleed the air out, i tried to bleed it at the pump and at the front spheres. Still no luck.

A few things to note:

* pump is working, bleeding at the pump results in lots of fluid coming out and onto the ground. Doesnt shoot out with high pressure though, more like "burps".

* When attempting to bleed at the spheres, i get almost no fluid, just a tiny bit comes out and thats it, then no more than drip drip drip

* The return line to the reservoir looks like nothing is coming out of it. I might be wrong, but isnt the return line supposed to constantly have something coming out of it back into the reservoir?

Any suggestions? Any links or writeups that might help?

Thanks!!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 PM

Asr isanti-slip regulation or very limmited traction control at that time which would reduce throttle when conditions met. as for the spheres they are hydrolic acculmators which dampen pules.Mostly when they fail the car is real bouncy like shock blown out of a car the ride height iis set via a level swith either at the upper/lower control arm if the arm is bent or broken could cause this problem . the most problems we expereanced with hydrolic suspension was from the pump no supplying enough pressure on a 129 sl you probably have a tandum p/s and suspension pump which was a bear to rebuild mostly we replaced especially if has over 100k if there were no external fluid leaks. the other problem was the level sensor actuator arm became broken or disconnected or wire problem to sensor. check those itmes first its cheeper.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:59 PM

I've checked the actuators. The rear one looks fine. The front one looks fine, but the arm is not connected to anything. What position should it be in?

Also, should the pump be spraying out at high pressure when i disconnect the hose at the pump, or just dribbling out? Mine just dribbles.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 PM

if the level sensor is located at top subframe or control arm the arm should exstend out to almost 90degreee angle or s;ightly tilted downward make sure the rod is installed and sensor mounting bracket is not bent. as for the pump it wont gush high pressure but it should leak out. Unless you have a presure gauge installled it dont matter anyway as long as fluid is comming out. actuate the arm while car is sitting on level ground see if it lowers/raises. Did you replace or try to rebuild tandum pump? are the front shock leaking or signs of leaking ?