Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finer Points of Checking Trans Fluid Level

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:47 PM

Im getting ready to do my trans fluid @ 90K. I was going to get Amsoil, but everyone here got me scared about not using MB fluid. I ordered MB fluid from Autohaus. Sucks because I can get Amsoil for half the price of the MB fluid. Als not sure about mixing the 2

Old 03-23-2009, 05:56 PM

Are you complaining about spending $100 on OEM tranny fluid and filter for every 100,000 miles? $1 per every 1,000 miles. Yes, that was a stupid idea to cap off the tube, call it "lifetime" or better "warranty over" fill and have owners to buy the dipstick for $99 from them. But because of that idea, I own nice ML320 that I bought with broken transmission. It made it to 130,000 miles and I believe it is the same transmission as in your E320, type 722.6
There is big difference between cold and hot level. Dipstick is $25 (on e-bay) and a lot less then new transmission. Check out transmission service procedure (fluid replacement)in M-class from about month ago. Almost as easy as engine oil replacement.
Nothing is a "lifetime" even in Mercedes world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Default Sage advice

Some of the best "straight talk" that I have received yet. Thank you.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:09 PM

Thank you Scuddog and sorry for my language.
If someone here needs instructions on how to use a dipstick to check fluid level, please do not try to replace your engine oil or transmission fluid, I would suggest take it streight to your local dealer.
For others, you have marking as every other dipstick.
I<MIN---COLD---MAX>I I<MIN---HOT---MAX>I
Now tell me if you need explaination for it.
Some people here will change synthetic engine oil for $150 every 3-5K miles which I think is a waste, yet they will try to go without changing transmission fluid forever.
Personally, doesn't make any sense to me but it could be just me.

Last edited by mbenz80; 03-26-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Default Thank you

Sir,
No worries on the language. I actually appreciated the real manner in which you conveyed your message. If checking the fluid is actually as easy as you say.... same as a "normal" tranny fluid dipstick with the hot and cold temp scales... then this is a "no brainer". I will buy the dipstick as soon as I can and will make this part of my monthly ritual in which I check everything on the car. Thank you for putting my mind at ease on this. I appreciate it. Have a great weekend everyone!

Old 03-28-2009, 04:14 PM

In my "Transmission Woes" a few days ago, I described how I ended up with a recon box and t-converter cos the rad had failed and let coolant into the oil.

I am convinced that if I'd had a dipstick, after 50+ yeas of self-maintenance, I would have seen the oil changing into a noticeable emulsion.

I'm surprised that I haven't had more response to my post, since it really spells out just how badly the car's electronic brain can let you down. The transmission was running on mush for quite a long time before it failed.

The many posts on a Caddy forurm about NOT having the oil sucked out of your transmission as a means of changing it, seems to be true for one of my kids. Shortly after such a 'service' his box failed - right on cue. Drop the pan...always, is what they were saying.

Last edited by UK Texan; 03-28-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 PM

You can't change the filter (which is as important as your fluid) without taking off the pan. Drain plug is there only to make the pen removall easier. Convertor is holding about 3L of fluid and most cars has drain plug on them too. There is no level sonsor for transmission fluid as some people think, only for engine oil.
I have my tranny tube cap on without the lock tab and it's holding on nice and tight. Check the level with service dipstick and push the cap back on filling tube, should hold.
I do all my service on my own and my cars seen dealer only for recalls. My local dealer in Barrington IL. don't even have mechanic to check my timing on my Euro model, after I have replaced the engine. It was running good but I just wanted to make sure that is perfect. They say "no can do" that I missing too many emission components and cat. convertors ...hahaha. Passing emissions every two years with no problem.
And I do put load on my transmission!!! I know this is E-class forum but I have the same engine and transmission in my ML320 as you guys!!! Good luck to you all.

Attached Thumbnails  Finer Points of Checking Trans Fluid Level-ml-tranny.jpg    Finer Points of Checking Trans Fluid Level-dsc00134.jpg    Finer Points of Checking Trans Fluid Level-dsc00128.jpg    Finer Points of Checking Trans Fluid Level-dsc00437.jpg    Finer Points of Checking Trans Fluid Level-dsc00450.jpg  

Old 03-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Default Good stuff

Outstanding MB80.... I like seeing someone who actually uses their MB and doesn't just use it as a 3rd car because they are afraid that something will break.

The E320 W210 chassis is a very common taxi in Europe for obvious reasons. I put at least 30 - 50 miles per day on my car and would hop in it for a trip to the West Coast of the States without thinking twice. As long as you take care of these cars... they will take care of you!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:17 AM

I am oridinally from Europe, I know, most Taxi cars are diesel Mercedes because they know what would last plus the comfort of them.
Last summer I had my sister & brother in law visiting states and I put 5,000 miles to my ML in 2 weeks taking trip to Florida, FLAWLESSLY.
My 280SE I was driving every day for 10 years, stranded only twice. Stuck ignition lock and fuel pump. Very reliable and smooth ride with all the whistles and bells!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Default Transmission service

Hey guys,

I just wanted to post the thread below. There is a lot of useful information regarding transmission service. My '98 E 320 has 192K on the clock and has not had the transmission serviced yet. I am planning on doing it soon based on the comments in this thread below. Take a look and see what you think.

srb1194

https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-e-class-9/1998-e-320-transmission-service-34614/