Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extremely high idle... (3200 RPM)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Default RE: Extremely high idle... (3200 RPM)

Hi Andrew,
I've lost track of your problem somewhat. However from your latest post it shouts "Air Leak" at me.

I cannot see how the OVP can have anything to do with your problem. All it does is to cut the power to the ECU in the event of overvoltage. Have you checked what voltage is seen at the battery? Is it too high?

Likewise the MAF. The MAF can impact engine performance due to incorrect main fuelling but it shouldn't have an impact on idle.

From memory I seem to remember that you managed to control the idle speed with a restrictor in the idle control valve tubing. If this indeed reduces the idle then the ICV MUST be letting air through. I also seem to remember that you had too many volts at the ICV input.
Have you applied the correct voltage (use a variable resistor) to the ICV and if so what happens. As a start just "cut" the control supply to the ICV.

If this brings idle back to normal you are back to the ECU output being incorrect. Send us an email with a summary of actions and I'll pick up the problem again if you wish.

An engine doesn't race at 4000 rpm without good cause It needs AIR and FUEL. You MUST have overlooked something.

Stuart

Old 01-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Default RE: Extremely high idle... (3200 RPM)

I never really wrote a follow up on this so I figured I better go ahead and do it now while it is on my mind. The problem was actually quite simply and if I had found it first I could of save roughly $1000 dollars. Actually the fix cost nothing. The TPS, throttle position switch was to blame. I replaced it for $20 though I didn't have to because after testing the old switch it tested fine. What had happened was that the TPS had shifted/rotated just enough that it was not making connection in the idle position. This causedthe car at idle to think it was accelerating, so it let air and fuel in, resulting in the 3200+ rpm.After adjusting the TPS the car ran fine. Idled at 1200 in park and 1000 in drive, and after the rest of the readjustmentsI did it now idles at 1000 in park and 800in drive. And with all the new junk in there, gas mileage has improved from before the problem accured to now, from 19mpg to 27mpg on 80% highways and 20% city.

If anyonecomes up with this problemPM meif you need instructionson how to adjust the TPS. I looked around all over the interent and couldn't find anything so I had to figure how to do it myself. It's really not to hard. Also if your switch is dead I have an extra one available, just pay shipping...

Andrew