Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine oil overfill??? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Default engine oil overfill??? HELP!

hi
i'm a newbie. mom has a 2001 e430. she asked me to check the oil. per the manual, ran the engine til warm and let it cool down for 5 minutes. first checked via dip stick. oil hard to see but seemed below or at the min mark. min to max on the dipstick is 2.1 qts per manual. after reading manual found out that can check the oil level through the computer. did the check that way and the reading/message was perf service...because the computer can not get a proper reading. note: car on level surface.

it's been a while since the last oil change, so i figure oil is low. i add 1 qt just to be safe. check the level on the dipstick and still seems low...hard to read. restart engine to warm and cool again for longer than 5 minutes. check via the computer and now it reads oil level too high reduce level! check the level on the dipstick...seems to be above MAX!!!

there are no tools here @ my mom's for me to remove the drain plug and drain some oil. my question is whether i can drive it to a shop without damaging the engine? it might as well get the oil change. PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP what to do. thanks in advance!!!

Old 05-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Default RE: engine oil overfill??? HELP!

after writing my original post checked the level via the computer and now says oil level fine??? checked the dipstick and oil above max mark. did not reheat the engine or recool. what gives and what should i believe...the computer or the dipstick. common sense says i should believe the dipstick. but still question remains...is the car safe to drive???

Old 05-29-2006, 07:52 PM

My E-Class diesel sometimes gives an 'overfull' notice. I always check the levels from the dipstick ... the only truly reliable way. Unless the oil in the engine is really clean you should be able to see it on the stick? Are you removing it, wiping clean and putting it back in fully? The dipstick on my E-Class isn't a straight path so sometimes gets a little stuck before it hits fully home.

You won't have overfilled it with just 1/4 of oil.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:39 PM

yes, wiped the dipstick and reinserted and checked that level. mom took the car out to go shopping...what else? and haven't heard from her...must be ok. will have the oil changed as soon as the filter comes in. by the way, how much does an oil change cost from the stealer? the place i'm taking it to will run $52 due to special filter and amount of oil. thanks for your input.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

if only driven on short distance, no harm can be done.

if you drive an overfilled engine for long time, the crankshaft will stir the oil and bubbles will produce. this will make the valve tappets noisy and will have driveability problem on long term.