Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Electronics Check engine message.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Engine Electronics Check engine message.

i am sorry to hear about that, but yours is just a minor problem.

the wiring harness tends to crack and cause problem too. just let some experienced person check the car for you.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:02 PM

I will take a look at it today. I also contacted the dealer i bought it from in NC for some support on the issue.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:23 PM

I had the codes scanned today. I have multiple misfires P300 P304 P306. I cleared them and they came back immediately. Any ideas with that information. Does it sound like coilpacks, wires, or harness? I did smell some rubber burning smell but i thought that was from a power steering leak i think i have also maybe from shipping the car. The dealer claims there was not a code prior to shipping.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

the fault code was detected by knock sensor and merely tells you that the engine is misfiring.

however, it cannot locate the source of misfiring for you.

you need to do the simple procedure i posted above since it doesn't involve any special tools or engine analyzer.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:20 AM

OK will do. I have to wait a couple of days as i am taking my sons to Toronto for the Yankee game. I'll let you know how i make out when i get back. Thanks for all the advise.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:01 AM

What about the main engine electrical harness. I saw a technical bullitin on this. It used to be replaced by the dealer as a goodwill service. I will have to take a look at mine.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

that's what i have mentioned on the above post. wiring harness.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:13 PM

Oh i did not see that you mentioned the harness. Where do i get a harness. Are there any aftermarket companies that make one? I bet the dealers want a lot for it. I do not know if they will still replace it good will. I will call and check and see if the dealer i bought it from will pay for it.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:18 PM

The dealer ordered me the wiring harness. I did put a tank of fresh 93oct and fuel injector cleaner a couple of days ago in. Tonight i took the car to the store and the light cleared itself. I am waiting for it to come back on now i'm sure it will. It stayed clear for about 10 miles so far. What do you think? I still want to replace the harness since i had so many misfires and codes.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 PM

Please help, I just bought this 97 E420 with 125,000 miles on it, the first day I took it out for 100 miles the car ran fine then this morning I took it to work it was good, when I left my work on the way home for about 1 mile the engine light turns on, before that the engine did not have good idle, when the engine light turns on it's just feel that only 4 cyl. is working because the whole car shakes violently and now the engine light just stays on, please help. Thank you in advance

Quick Reply: Engine Electronics Check engine message.